Grocery Store Foods?

halamaya

I bought some all natural frozen shrimp for all my fish and anenome's to eat. Should I leave the shell on? I know Krill can cause some problems with blockage. Should I do anything else to the shrimp besides rinsing it under water? Thanks for all the help.

R

rcreations

Depends on the fish. For regular fish and anemone feeding, I would remove the shell. But for puffers for example, I leave the shell on because it helps with their teeth.

meowzer

I also take the shells off, and for the anemone, I would cut it so it is not bigger than it's mouth
actually....I would even cut it up for the fish (unless you have a stingray LOL) My ray eats a whole piece in one bite :)

cranberry

I leave the shell on. If it falls off while I'm cutting it up, I poke a hole in it and thread it on the feeding stick. But as RCreations said, it depends on the fish.

halamaya

I would love to see a video of your porcupine eatting one and the Ray!! My Rhinopias was very very curious, and watched me dancing a chunk around on the feeding prong. Won't be long before he's off of the ghost shrimp. He loves garlic. Been feeding the Ghost Shrimp garlic soaked mysis shrimp.
Are the prawn also bad for your fish like the Krill? I love you guys. It's hard to find people who love to talk about the hobby all the time.

aquaknight

Here ya go! It's actually a Striped Burrfish, a close relative of the Porcupine.

And some old footage of my Lei Trigger and Lunare going to town on a shrimp. Listen to the trigger's teeth!

halamaya

The Burr Fish is awesome, I bet he could do some damage if he gets your finger. My hearing sucks but that was really loud. I have a BUrsa Trigger but he's only about 4 inches still.
Thanks for the video!!!

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Halamaya
http:///forum/post/3215587
The Burr Fish is awesome, I bet he could do some damage if he gets your finger. My hearing sucks but that was really loud. I have a BUrsa Trigger but he's only about 4 inches still.
Thanks for the video!!!

I've had a few close calls, and he's got my arm was, but I think that was just a 'feeler bite.' I'm sure he could remove flesh if he tried.
Originally Posted by RCreations

http:///forum/post/3215611
How often do you feed the burrfish?
Everyday, sorta. I used to mix up shrimp, scallops, clams, and silversides everyday, but I haven't found any IQF locally, so it's just being shrimp and scallops. I've started everything NLS more though, as I've found Jumbo 4.5mm pellets for him. The large 3mm is just to small to be effective. So now I feed meaty foods one day, multiple NLS feeding the next.