Grounding probes?

Just wondering what everyones opinion on the importance of having a gounding probe in your tank(s). Have several powerheads, two thermos in each tank, etc. and I picked up two probes just as a precaution, never measured for stray voltage but decided better safe than sorry. Is it really necessary or do you not ever know until it's too late?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I initiated a major grounding probe topic a couple of mos ago, and most people felt it was best course of action, especially in treating or preveint HLLE. Well, I got a probe and, since it was installed, HLLE tangs got worse!....a lot worse. My yellow tang died this am.
This could be a complete coincidence, but, frankly, they had actually been improving pre-grounding probe.
Any electrical experts or anyone have any !!! on this one?
:confused:
[ April 19, 2001: Message edited by: beth ]

tonka

I was wondering this too. The other day I put my hand in the tank and got a small jolt. I've heard that also Beth.(HLLE) I know they make the grounding probes but how much are they? And do they really work?

jimi

In my experience hlle is caused from improper diet. The old theory about stray voltage causing it is fading fast.

lcc

I measured the voltage in my tank before I put a probe in and it was 20 plus volts, after it dropped down to 3 to 5 volts so I would say they work. Can not hurt and they are cheap if purchased on line. The lfs wanted over forty dollars what a rip.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I paid about $15 for mine. And as for nutrition...I have exhausted that one. I am now feeding my fish fresh prepared foods, mixed with SWSelects, carrots and a good variety of seafoods alone with ZoeCon/Zoe.

lcc

Beth - I heard of feeding greens to fish, but carrots? that is a new one on me. Do you feed carrots to tangs and Angels?