Growing Live Rock

hpimike02

hey guys,
i was wondering if i start out useing about 5 piunds of LR in a 10G tank and i put 5 pounds of some more rock in there would it turn into the live rock and how long would you gestamate that?
why do you have to put 1 pound per gallon?>
Mike

ruaround

what do you mean by "some more rock"...if you are talking about base rock then yes it will eventually become LR... and 1 to 3 lbs of LR is good to have...

my way

The reason to have that much rock is to have enough area for the beneficial bacteria and other critters to grow.

agent707

You don't "have" to do anything.
People tend to say things quite wrong... like you "need" 1.5 lbs per gallon. Truth is, you don't "need" any.
I think it should be said, it is "better" to fill your tank with live rock... and to do so would take >1.5 lbs per gallon. lol.
Honestly, how much you "need" depends TOTALLY on the makeup of your tank. If you want lots of fishies, then you do "need" a lot of rock. If you want only a couple of fish, you can do just fine without any.

ruaround

Originally Posted by Agent707
You don't "have" to do anything.
People tend to say things quite wrong... like you "need" 1.5 lbs per gallon. Truth is, you don't "need" any.
I think it should be said, it is "better" to fill your tank with live rock... and to do so would take >1.5 lbs per gallon. lol.
Honestly, how much you "need" depends TOTALLY on the makeup of your tank. If you want lots of fishies, then you do "need" a lot of rock. If you want only a couple of fish, you can do just fine without any.
I couldnt disagree more with these statements...
no one said there was a "need" for LR...
you contradicted yourself...
then if you fill up your tank with LR there really isnt much room for filling up your tank with "fishies"...
LR is a staple of any successful marine aquarium...when was the last time you saw a tank without any biofiltration...other than a QT... a tank needs a place for bacteria to grow (LR LS) to provide biofiltration and the revers is true as well... LR LS provide a place for benificial bacteria and algae to grow...
if there are 2 things that an aquarium needs it is water quality and LR...substrate is debatable...

celacanthr

Originally Posted by ruaround
I couldnt disagree more with these statements...
no one said there was a "need" for LR...
you contradicted yourself...
then if you fill up your tank with LR there really isnt much room for filling up your tank with "fishies"...
LR is a staple of any successful marine aquarium...when was the last time you saw a tank without any biofiltration...other than a QT... a tank needs a place for bacteria to grow (LR LS) to provide biofiltration and the revers is true as well... LR LS provide a place for benificial bacteria and algae to grow...
if there are 2 things that an aquarium needs it is water quality and LR...substrate is debatable...
Sorry, gotta disagree with you RU.
The whole point of LR is that it provides some surface area for bacteria to colonize. So that means that anything with a surface can be used the same way as LR, but very few things provide as much surface area per pound than LR (natural stuff at least).
One such tank where you don't need LR is a seagrass/macro algae tank. the algaes, and plants provid ethe surface area themselves.
I hope my post isn't confusing. I have been up all night. Maybe I can explain better later.

CE(tired)LA