Growing Pods

dreeves

What can one do to increase the population, and maintain a level of pods in the aquarium?
Food, habitat, etc...
Thanks

bang guy

A refugium is the #1 addition for increasing pod populations.
It can be just a small rubbermaid container with flow from/to the display tank. Add 1/2" - 1" of live sand, a couple of live rocks and you're all set. You don't even need light.

michaeltx

that or if you cant set up a fuge soon you can take some LR rubble and stack it up in a corner in the tank and it will serve as a pod pile and give them some protection. the rubble needs to be small though not giant pieces of rock.
mike

reefnut

They eat phytoplankton from what I understand so if your not already dosing DTs or something like that, it might help.

michaeltx

thats what I had to do in my tank a few years ago didnt have the money or room to set up a fuge and it worked great.
Mike

dreeves

Well thanks everyone...I already have a refuge setup with sand, caulerpa and a mangrove...and I have pods in it. Was just curious as to what I could do to increase the population and maintain a larger population.
I think I will try some phytoplankton though, see what that does.
They are interesting little critters to watch going about their business.

michaeltx

you can put rocks piles in the fuge it will help by giving them somewhere small to breed and feel comfortable. doesnt hurt anyway.
MIke

clown-lover

ok, well i've read all over this forum that people just start to see these things in their tanks and can't figure out what they are....once they realize it's pods everything is okay....but how do they turn up in the first place? I don't think i've ever had them and they sound so good that now i want them!!!

michaeltx

if you put LR in your tank you have them!!! but the may not show up till the population gets to a point that there are a lot out at night. until it gets to that it will be spuratic trying to find them
Mike

dreeves

The pods in both my fuges are at it all the time...the lights stay on 24/7 so they dont know what darkness is in Dan's house...