Grren Hair Algea Takeover- HELP!

P

pet lover

:help: Green Hair Takeover
Would you guys PLEASE share in any thoughts or experiences on getting rid of this stuff ?
It is trying to take over my tank.
I am trying not to overfeed.
I have MH bulbs.
I have only a few peices of coral and some anemonees in a 125gal tank w/ fish.
I am running Remora Pro C skimmer.
I have a fan running towards the tank to keep the temp under 82, it is around 80 most of the time.
Nitrates/nitrites are normal range......
PH is a little low 7.8, working on that one.
ANY thoughts on this would be appreciated and THANK YOU in advance ,
Caryn :)

rossim

While you still want to get to the root of the problem as to why you had this algea bloom, I also had one at the begining of my cycle. I put a couple emerald crabs in the tank and they took care of it in a couple days. Hasn't returned since (or if it has, the crabs are right on top of it).

escape2thewater

I just won that battle myself! It took a couple months of work but what initially caused it in my tank was old light bulbs. After replacing all of them, cleaning all filters/pumps to make sure circulation is where it should be the algae remained. My water tested fine too as far as no3 & po4, etc. I tried phosban, it helped a little. Make sure you have at least one snail per gallon ratio plus hermits, I learned this is very important too. There was one thing that fixed my problem 100% though, ROWAPHOS. That stuff is awesome! It works way better then phosban, once again you get what you pay for. So after running the ROWAPHOS I had to scrub the algae off all the rocks manually with a toothbrush. I removed as many as I could but the rest had to be done in the tank. Once the algae was removed it did not grow back. Thats the short version :) , good luck with yours! I know that is nasty stuff, a few of my snails still have it growing on thier shells!
KYle
:happyfish

P

pet lover

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I just replaced the MH bulbs a couple of days ago.
I probably need to replace the UV bulb now.
I don't do very many water changes. It runs down low once a week or so and I just add the nec amount of water needed.
i think I might start using distilled water until I can get a RO/DI unit. Do you guys think that would help ????
I just put in some Phosban and scrubbed the algea w/ a toothbrush and cleaned the filters and powerheads last weekend
when I put the new MH bulbs in. Took all day.....
Where do I get the Rowaphos stuff ? Is it like the Phosguard and Phosban ? I put the stuff I got in my magnum 350 canister filter. I had put some Nitrex for nitrates in the other magnum last summer and have NO problems with nitrates at all.
Must be GOOD stuff!
Do emerald crabbs bother coral ?
How many would I need in a 125gal ?
I was told me a redlip blenny would be good also.....
Thanks everyone for the input and info :yes:
More ideas and info welcomed !!!:happyfish

thefishguy

when you say nitrates are in normal range...u need to be more specific you want them under 10 if your realy serious about geting rid of the hair algea. Get rid of the problem at the source use reverse osmosis water and take a tooth brush and scrub it out. once yur water is good it will stop comming back ...keep fighting it

col

Nitrates/nitrites are normal range
Nitrites should be zero - what are the exact readings for both?
What is the phosphate reading?

sleeri

I recently won a battle with this stuff myself. It hasn't completely disappeared, but now it's no more than a minor, minor problem. Here are the "attack" points I focused on...
1. Make sure to clean any type of mechanical filter at least once a week or even more if the filter picks up lots of junk. Also be sure to keep up with filter media changes (carbon, etc.) if you use that type of stuff.
2. Switch to RO/DI water or at least RO water. This helps a lot. In fact this is a must and I'm pretty sure almost everyone will tell you this should be one of your first steps in combating algae. Be sure to use the RO/DI water for top-offs as well.
3. Keep up with your water changes. I have gone with small weekly water changes. I do probably about a 5-7% change each week. That puts me at about 20-25% each month. I hope to reduce this as my tank matures.
4. Reduce feeding to everyother day. This seemed to make a huge difference for me. Also if you're using frozen foods rinse them before putting them into your tank. I use a small strainer to acomplish this task.
5. Put a refuge together and start growing macro algae. This may not be an option for you, but if it is go for it. This creates competition for your problem algae.
6. I fell victim to this one early on in my fish keeping career... stock your tank properly. An overloaded tank is almost certainly going to be an algae producing machine. It's pretty basic, but I thought I'd include this advice just in case.
7. Finally, have patience! If you're keeping up your tank properly you're probably going to win the battle. I didn't win this battle over night. It took me a couple of months before I got things under control. In my opinion there really isn't any one miracle solution that's going to clear up all of your algae over night (maybe some chemical, but I've decided not to go that route in my tank). I think this is one of the biggest reasons why people struggle so much with algae. They think there's just one little problem and once they fix it... bam, no more algae. I'm just speaking from my own experience, but that just hasn't been the case for me. It's a combination of variables that determine algae levels in your tank and ussualy more than one thing will be "out of wack."
All that you have read above are things that I've had success with. I'm not an expert. That means what I've shared is not the law and it may not work for you. I'm sure other people have different approaches / opinions, but I thought I'd share my experience anyway. Good luck with whatever approach you choose.
One more thing... it's my opinion that the algae clean up crews are just one more way to clean up the mess. If you really want to solve your algae problem you have to attack the source of the problem (high nutrients, etc.), not the symptoms of the problem (algae everywhere). Yes, snails and crabs are important and wonderful to have, but they've never solved any of my algae breakout problems. Just another opinion.

P

pet lover

Nitrates are 5, Nitrites are 0. Don't know about the Phosphates... None of the LFS have a phosphate kit so I bought some Phosguard and put it in my magnum filter and will order a kit soon online.
I use distilled water and tapwater if I can't afford the distilled water when I need it, it is a 125gal tank.....
I plan on getting a RO unit in the future but can't at this time.
I am still trying to learn about them also.
Do they do just as good if they are just RO and not RO/DI
units ????
I took a new toothbrush and scrubbed for a long time last week and justa little is coming back already. I think some of it might be the 3 175w 10K MH bulbs also. I have cut back the time on them also.
I think I will get the Blennys (2) should be ok in a 125 when I can get them ordered. Do the lawnmowers do as good as the redlip blennys ? Does anyone know ?
Thanks again everyone for the info and help!
The people on this site are great
:happy:
Thanks again,
Caryn

P

pet lover

sleeri
I think we posted at the same time.
THANK YOU for the advice.
I think that a combination of things is the problem and therefor
it will take a combination of things to cure the problem.
I have cut back on feeding and light time and cleaned and put phosguard in my filter.
Now I need to concentrate on getting some blennys and crabs and snails and most of all a RO unit.....
This will take time so I guess it will be a battle until I can do the rest of this.
I thank everyone for the help and advice.
I will keep checking back to make sure I stay on top of this and do everything I am supposed to.
Everyone here is great and I want to Thank everyone for everything.
:happyfish