Gulf of Mexico Beach Sand?

jbret

This may be a dumb question but I live near the Gulf of Mexico and I was wondering if it would be ok to use beach sand as the bed of my aquarium? It very clean and bright white just wanted to make sure there was not some reason not to use it before I planned on hauling some to the house.
Thanks for the help.

hatessushi

Beach sand should not be used since you don't know what's in it polution wise. Just because it looks clean doesn't make it so. The sand should come from beyond 20 miles out or so or you can just buy it bagged already.

The problem with Beach sand in the Gulf of Mexico is also that it is silica based which could leach silicates into your tank water and cause algae growth that would drive you nuts. It killed me to have to pay all that money for sand with the beach 5 minutes away but that is the way it is I guess.
Rich

gsd

Silica bsaed sand does not leach silicates or at least to any point it makes a hill of beans worth of difference.. I have used nothing but sand from the Florida Panhandle since I started fooling with tanks and have never had a problem. Granted its not as good as aragonite but there is nothing wrong with it if yu have sufficient live rock or other filtration. It works just fine and is free.....I get mine mainly form the Pensacola area as its extremely white sand found there.

Originally Posted by GSD
Silica bsaed sand does not leach silicates or at least to any point it makes a hill of beans worth of difference.. I have used nothing but sand from the Florida Panhandle since I started fooling with tanks and have never had a problem. Granted its not as good as aragonite but there is nothing wrong with it if yu have sufficient live rock or other filtration. It works just fine and is free.....I get mine mainly form the Pensacola area as its extremely white sand found there.

GSD, I only speak of the silica base because I had a friend who finally dumped his saltwater because we could find nothing else wrong to cause algae than the sand. Other people talk about aragonite's buffering capabilities but with out a low ph I don't think it helps much anyway. So I have no scientific data myself to disprove your theory of using the beach sand just thought I would mention my friends trouble.
GSD- is your tank reef? just looking for people somewhere close to trade frags or pieces with.
Rich

socalracer

so is there any way to clean the sand just curios b/c people ask if they can use beach sand on this site everyday and i've never heard the suggestion of just cleaning it

gsd

I have only reef tanks. It works fine in a reef tank. So if it works in a reef it will also work in a fish only.
As to cleaning it, yes, I supose it can easily be cleaned......For one thing, I certainly would not assume just because its bagged and marked for aquarium use its any cleaner than what can be gathered up locally, and odds are its gonna certainly be much cleaner than any of the stuff folks use like Southdown and old castle etc,. I just do not buy nto all this hype just how sensitive marine life and systems are, and lots of other stuff too. Yes within reason is onethng but to go so far out of reason is absurd. I have played with marine setups for years now and have yet to have half the problems you read about here on these forums, and thats coming from folks using approved stuff for aquariums too......Some folks are afraid to wipe with a unknown paper if their regular TP runs out, for fear of contaminating the sewer system..
Bottom line.if your near the beach, use it, and don;t worry about it. If you want to "sterilize it, fine, thats yur ball game but in the process you will kill any beneficiasl criters......to clean it just take a mix of water and chlorox (10% mix is fine) and put the sand in it, aloow to soak for ahwile, (30 minutes to an hour or so) then rinse well and spread out on a plastic sheet or other flat surface to dry in the sun. And yes chlorox looses its properties in a short period of time when exposed to air and sun so within 24 to 48 hurs its inert. Or you can always add a dechlor.