Guppies!

dstoneburg

So after a thread on another forum about some people accilimating the naturally brackish guppy to SW then adding them to their sump for a natural food source with their offspring. The one problem with this, is for people like me with a sump/refug combo, the guppies will decimate my pod population. So having a FOWRL I do like to indulge my puffer in a live feast every once in a while. Guppies are said to be the rabbits of the aquarium life. They breed like bunnies and live off algae, Its perfect! The plan is to setup a full SW 7g bowfront tank, almost like a QT. Acclimate the guppies and let them breed then transfer the offspring to my puffer and other agressive fishies every once in a while. Now in the process I am going to gut-pack them with nutrients. So, find the flaw in this plan that seems to be perfect to me!
Edit: After more thought and research it seems mollies would serve this purpose even better, thoughts?

sk8shorty01

You wouldnt even have to acclimate the fish to SW life. You could run the 7g as a FW tank, the little fish will be dead from the puffer long before they would be dead from the salinity change. That puffer will probably grab them almost as quick as they hit the surface of the water, I wouldnt really worry about running the 7 as a salt tank... Just my opinion though.

donald

Originally Posted by sk8shorty01
You wouldnt even have to acclimate the fish to SW life. You could run the 7g as a FW tank, the little fish will be dead from the puffer long before they would be dead from the salinity change. That puffer will probably grab them almost as quick as they hit the surface of the water, I wouldnt really worry about running the 7 as a salt tank... Just my opinion though.
this would save you some money

ophiura

Why feed puffers fish, when you can get them ghost shrimp, clams, worms and snails? These are much more in line with their actual wild diet and provide the hard shells their teeth need to stay healthy. I would gut load these with spirulina and other algaes, as many puffers do need some amount of algae in their diet as well.
I wouldn't feed fish if for no other reason than puffers generally are not fish eaters.

keri

plus...feeding live fish increases your risk of diseases from the feeders attacking your..... feed-ees? Is that the word? lol, I think you know what I mean.
but yes, they do breed like rabbits.