H20 question

fla. keys

In my 125 right now I did set the tank up last week using just tap water.
My question is this....
When I do my water top offs, should i keep adding distilled water?????
Can I just go to the local grocery store and buy distilled water and use this knowing I have LIVE ROCK??????

catera

i used distilled water, but save yourself some money in the long run and get an ro/di. i got mine for 120 and couldnt be happier, nor my fish

don berry

You should definetly look into r/o water. If you don't want to put out the $120 right now look around. I was able to find r/o water for $.44 a gallon. That is much cheaper than buying distilled and it's much better for your tank.

predator

RO water is alot cheaper than distilled water. Not to mention alot of distilled water is loaded with amonia. I'v heard some horror stories about using it.

dirtybilge

You can't use tap water, the heavy metal's in it will get stuck in you tank and you can only get them out with water changes, The single most important pice of aquarium equipment is the water filter thats why I bought a spectrapure 60GPD RO/DI its worth its weight in gold! Once you have a unlimited supply of good water you have saved your self headaches and alot of money in the long run. Remember no inverts or corals in tap water!

royce

I buy RO water from Wal-Mart, 0.58/gallon - cheaper than distilled. I may get a RO/DI unit at some point, but right now with water restrictions from a drought, I can't justify the waste water that is produced.