Had an odd problem, any one help me?

matth2181

Hey every one this is my first salt water aquarium and i had a bit of a problem over the weekend wondering if any one can tell me what went wrong. i went away for 3 days and i left the light off and the fish werent fed for about 60 hours. i come back to find one of my damsels dead, my other damsel lying on the bottom under a shell, and my clown was lying on the bottom. when i turned on the light the clown ran under a rock on the bottom and the damsel stayed. so i checked parameters and there were no nitrates and no nitrites the ph was around 8.2 and alkalinity was high along with general water hardness, and specific gravity was around 1.023. so i changed the filter pad on my penguin 150 and added a bit a freshwater very slowly, and added some food. after about 15-30 minutes the clown comes out and hides with the damsel under a plant for 5 minutes then they both come out swimmin around eating the food i had put in off the bottom. so i left the light on over night let everything run, and as usual the two fish were swimming at the glass and near the top when i came by looking for food, which i fed them and now things are back to normal. so i dont get it, ive left fish for a couple of days with no food with no problem at all and i dont think the absence of light did it cause the room gets some lighting during the day (not direct sunlight). temperature stayed steady cause i have a heater around 78-80 degrees. so ive never seen this before... ithought maybe an ammonia spike and i was going to loose the clown and damsel but they came back no problem. any one know what i did wrong? cause my african cichlids did just fine while i was gone but like i said this is my first marine tank.

roadie996

I'm not sure of the problem, but I'd definitely invest in an auto-feeder. I've got one on my tank set for 2 feeding times 8 hours a part. About 20-30 minutes after the light comes on and about 20 minutes before it turns off.
They could have been resting since the lights were off for so long and just got scared when they came on suddenly after a few days. Not sure though, that's my guess!

flower

Originally Posted by MattH2181
http:///forum/post/3101956
Hey every one this is my first salt water aquarium and i had a bit of a problem over the weekend wondering if any one can tell me what went wrong. i went away for 3 days and i left the light off and the fish werent fed for about 60 hours. i come back to find one of my damsels dead, my other damsel lying on the bottom under a shell, and my clown was lying on the bottom. when i turned on the light the clown ran under a rock on the bottom and the damsel stayed. so i checked parameters and there were no nitrates and no nitrites the ph was around 8.2 and alkalinity was high along with general water hardness, and specific gravity was around 1.023. so i changed the filter pad on my penguin 150 and added a bit a freshwater very slowly, and added some food. after about 15-30 minutes the clown comes out and hides with the damsel under a plant for 5 minutes then they both come out swimmin around eating the food i had put in off the bottom. so i left the light on over night let everything run, and as usual the two fish were swimming at the glass and near the top when i came by looking for food, which i fed them and now things are back to normal. so i dont get it, ive left fish for a couple of days with no food with no problem at all and i dont think the absence of light did it cause the room gets some lighting during the day (not direct sunlight). temperature stayed steady cause i have a heater around 78-80 degrees. so ive never seen this before... ithought maybe an ammonia spike and i was going to loose the clown and damsel but they came back no problem. any one know what i did wrong? cause my african cichlids did just fine while i was gone but like i said this is my first marine tank.

I don't think your fishy starved, marine fish feed on critters in the LIVE rock and don't need as much food as freshwater fish....I think either the fish got into a fight..one damsel died, the clown is afraid of the surviving damsel but held his own.
or
you don't have enough water flow on the top and the fish are oxygen starved...that's why fish hang around the top..they are trying to suck in air.

matth2181

well like isaid they were on the bottom when i got here, they only went to the top very actively looking for food. i also have a aerator disc in the tank so O2 should be fine. yea a fight between the damsels is my next guess and i turned the light on when the other two were resting that sounds to be the only thing that makes sense since there is live rock in the tank to eat off of. so that is the elading hypothesis any one else...?

C

calvertbill

Tell me why you added freshwater.
I keep all my tanks at 1.026

deejeff442

alot of newbees keep thier salinity at 1.022-1.023 because the bag of salt we buy says it .
i keep mine at 1.025
i agree with the fighting these fish can live in a tank for two weeks without adding food .they will scavenge of the surfaces if need be.
what do you mean by aerator disk?
if its a bubble maker take it out they are bad news for salt fish.its all about water flow not air bubbles.