hair algae lighting help

cooksreef

i have a smartlite w/ 10,000 k 50/50 and csl retro w/6700 ultra daylight and 7100 ultra actinic, question is are there too many yellows here or which is best or worse, . also i added ozonizer to classic skimmer with 500 gph pump, now not getting any foam, question #2 is will 700 gph cause better turbulence? thank you

jtroutine

another thing to consider would be to drip a kalkwasser mix to maintain your alk and calc levels, other benifit is that it precips phosphates which are a fuel for alge:)

cooksreef

my phospates are low , been debating about kalk, right now i am experimenting w/esv, calcium is allways low though., been doing alot of changes- 25 gals, for an 80 gal tank

jtroutine

when you say "low" how low? Kalk I have found is a easy way to add replacement water plus dose your tank. I would get the alk and calc to desired levels and dose with kalk. Works well for me alk is between 3.5-4.0meq/l and calc is 425mg/l

cooksreef

po-4 between .05 -1.0 never has moved, keep sponge in sump. how do i drip kalk, sounds like you keep a 5 gal jug w/ pump. my tank evaporates 5 gals a week, always at 78 degrees even w/ lights out allday

jtroutine

there are many ways to drip kalk easily. You could buy a doser, its a 5 gal jug with a dripper made by kent, or you could make one. I took a 5 gal water jug mix the solution and have it sitting nest to my tank a little higher then the sump and took air line and ran it to a plastic gang valve from walmart and have it hanging on sump set a drip of like 4-5 secs. Works by siphon. Draw back is I have to wipe the precip of the nozzle about once a day. I am thinking about getting a rubber cork to fit in the spout of the jug and running a air line from a air pump to keep a little pressure in the jug to keep a more reliable drip. Piece of advice with kalk...Kalk mixture has a ph of about 20, so imperitive not to add high amounts at once. You shouldnt have a problem with dripping kalk 24/7 as far as ph, I do and maintained 8.1 at night and 8.3 at day. If you do have problem with high ph make sure that your alk isnt to high to begin with, and if that is okay then maybe only dose at night as ph is lower at lights off. Hope this helps:)

cooksreef

sounds like a plan, i'll look into the kent product. upgraded to a mag 7 from redsea 500 pump for my skimmer last night, it was bilowing out foam within an hour as i couldnt get any after adding ozonizer. thanx