hair algae skimmer question

wetone

I know hair algae has been discussed in detail on this board. But I have a problem, I know some of my problem is a second sump with 4" of LS thats not working, I think its a nitrate factory instead. But I have a 4' CC skimmer run by airstones,. My main question is how much impact does the skimmer have on nitrate/nutrient reduction?? Should I invest in a new skimmer?

q

To compare air stone skimmers to a venturi skimmer can be drastic. The air stone skimmers in general are not as good which is not to say that there may be some decent ones.
In general the air stone skimmers require more work. You have to reguraly replace the stones for good performance. Size of the tube in both height and with makes a difference as well as the size of the bubbles produced and the length of time that they are in contact with the water. In general the smaller bubbles the better.
IMO I would upgrade. But if you don't have the money to buy a good skimmer then save it and buy one latter.
What a skimmer does is remove organic waste before it can decompose thus reducing the amount of waste that your system has to process.
I doubt that you LS bed is a nitrate producer. The only way for that to happen is if you have detritus building up on it and that would be your fault.
Hope it helps,