Hair Algae taking over!

jla9508

Hair Algae is growing on all my live rock and starting in my sand bed. My levels are pH:8.0, Ammo:0, Nitrite:0, Nitrate:0. I've started removing some of it by hand but it is taking forever. What can I do to get rid of it? I never had hair algae until I started using Coral Vite. Could this be causing it? What should I do?

ocellaris_keeper

My guess is that you aren't using RO water or your tank is still becoming established. Hair algae is normal in a new tank and If you leave it for a bit it will become stiff and you can remove it with your fish net.

jla9508

My tank has be up and running for about a year and a half. This algae problem started about a month ago.

clamchops

I also started to get red and green algea when I first used the coral vite my corals seemed to love this product but it was i feel overloading my tank with to many nutrients Ive since started using half the recommended dosage per week and things seem to be better..........

jlem

Is there a specific reason why you changed your routine and started the coral vita. I and other hobbiest have started using smaller water changes weekly or every other week instead of large less often water changes. I have greatly reduced my use of additives because it is being replaced more often by the salt. I think it definately is the coral vita. Just my opinion though.