Hair algae- the battle continues...

So Ive had a growing hair algae prob. I have a 90 with a 35 refugium with chaeto and grape caulerpa (which Im slowly weeding out). I also recently put in Chemi pure elite to try and reduce my phosphates even further. My tank lights are on from 9 to 7 and my fuge lights from 7am to 7pm. Whenever I do water changes I try and get as much out as I can. What else can I do?

blazehok68

increase the flow in the display tank, and slow down the feeding a bit. your phosphates are getting elevated for a reason. either because there is too much fish poop, or because there are dead spots in the tank, due to not enough flow. or maybe a combination of both. either way, it couldnt hurt to try both.

zeke92

saltwater mollies are a good addition to the clean up crew since they are omnivores. mine is often snacking on algae when there isn't any leftover food int he tank.
also some tangs will probably snack of hair algae but idk. i would suggust a big anemone carrying hermit or a bunch of small hermits that eat hair algae (not sure names)

paxrom

here's what I do naturally to reduce nitrate
-add live rock (if you have room)
-put a mud layer (about 1-1/4 inch) in your refugium
-leave the lights on the refugium 24/7

florida joe

Originally Posted by Paxrom
http:///forum/post/2727744
here's what I do naturally to reduce nitrate
-add live rock (if you have room)
-put a mud layer (about 1-1/4 inch) in your refugium
-leave the lights on the refugium 24/7
IMO the 24/7 light routine depends on what is in the refugium

Wow...didnt realize people were still postin...thanks! Just an update. HA is still there although not growing as fast as it was before. Got some chem-marin stop HA (chem-marin.com) from a LFS...anyone used this stuff before??? Hvnt used it yet...would rather use fish/inverts but nothing seems to like HA. havnt tried a LMB yet but thinkin bout it. My emeralds arnt making a dent. Every water change I do i suck as much out as possible. think im gonna go after it with a brush next time and scrub it off the rock as im sucking it out. Im also getting a little sun light early in the am on the left side of the tank so im gonna put a cover over it.

PS..got rid of most of me caulerpa and my chaeto is going crazy. went from a softball size to volleyball size in a month. Im leaving the fuge light on 24/7 and have decreased the DT lights to 6hrs and actnics come on an hour before the halides and shut off an hour after. Any other suggestions??? Thanks!!

grue

Silly Question, Have you tested your top off and water change water? Would be a shame to find out the problem is your DI unit needs fresh media.......
Grue