hair algae using bio pellets

evanjah

I have a good amount of hair algae after switching from vodka to bio pellets...My display tank looks great and nitrates and phosphates test and retest at 0.. the hair algae is growing in my 180 in my basement which is connected to my display..Im sure its the bio pellets because I never had it before..Ive been running them for almost 2 months now...Other than hair algae I have been super pleased...
Any tips or guesses guys?

evanjah

my orange shoulder picks at the hair algae in the tank however not at a fast enough rate...I also have a smaller sea hair in there and emerald crabs trying to combat the issue

deejeff442

i have been running bio pellets for 4 months.imo the biggest waste of money i have ever spent .i have algae growing like crazy.i found my r/o had some phosphates but i took care of that.but i still have alot of the algae and it stopped going away.do not waste your money on this junk.i plan to use good ol phosphate remover

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjah http:///t/389834/hair-algae-using-bio-pellets#post_3448124

I have a good amount of hair algae after switching from vodka to bio pellets...My display tank looks great and nitrates and phosphates test and retest at 0.. the hair algae is growing in my 180 in my basement which is connected to my display..Im sure its the bio pellets because I never had it before..Ive been running them for almost 2 months now...Other than hair algae I have been super pleased...
Any tips or guesses guys?
I haven't really seen any one that is happy with the bio pellets for any period of time except for a few who's tanks honestly don't look all that great :-/
If you have a lot of hair algae and are getting a 0 phosphate reading, it's because the algae is consuming it.
I'm a believer in GFO, regularly scheduled water changes, a good clean up crew and good maintenance.
Were you having success with the vodka dosing? Why did you stop? Have you considered going back to that?

evanjah

umm i went to pellet reactor due to the fact that i had to add vodka daily...If I cant get the hair algae to go away I will probably go back..But on positive side My nitrates are at 0..I have a friend bringing phosphate photometer tomorrow so i can check phosphates accurately...Ive heard good things about pellet reactors depending on brand of pellets you choose

acrylic51

If you go over to the other forum and do a search on the following product, this might help you with your phosphate issues...... Again read carefully!!!!!! This product is called SeaKlear Phosphate Remover.....a form of Lanthanum Chloride.......Do a search like I said on Lanthanum Chloride and you'll find the thread I'm referring to.