hair algae

powers

My sister has a 26 bow front. She is having a problem with hair algae. here is some history on her tank. set up since may of 2005
fish= 2 percs, 1 lmb, 1 purple fire fish, and 1 1in. hippo (to be transfered to my 100 when time comes). 1 cleaner shrimp, 5 snails, 1 blue leg, 5 red leg crabs, 1 sandsifting star.
corals = 1 frogsapawn, green button, candy cane, clove pollups, shrooms, and a few zoos.
water parameters are as follows
ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
nitrates = 0
cal = 450
ph = 8.0
alk = doesnt even register on color chart
phos. = 0.4
she does a 3 gal water change every other week (ro/di only) rom the windmill station. Any sugestions on how to bring up alk and get rid of this hair algae would be greatly appreciated.

taz_12777

To deal with the hair algea I would cut backon the lighting, feed every other day, use a phosphate sponge, and increase water changes to 20% every week until the problem is solved. Test the water before and after mixing in the salt to make sure they are not the culprite.The algea is using the nitrate so you probably will not get a reading on it, that is why I sugest the higher water change. Pull off as much as you can this will also help. I would also increase your clean up crew, some dwarf blue hermits mabe, and a couple different types of snails.

jonnywater

Or, heres another idea. Is it spreading a lot? Or just sort of staying there and not going away. Because hair algae usually does not go away on its own in my experience. You have to get something to eat it. Or Coralline algae will take it over also.