HAIR ALGAE

I AM GETTING ALOT OF BROWN HAIL ALGAE ON MY ROCK. I HAVE BLUE AND RED LEGGED CRABS AND TURBO SNAILS. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO TO RID THIS? DOES IT CHOKE THE ROCK?

ladd

How many snails & hermits do you have? I had the same problem, 75gl tank. I added the Keep it Clean package. Which was 60 assorted snails, hermits, crabs, shrimp and a brittle star.... problem solved!

We got the 100 gallon clean up but I have noticed some empty shells and wondering if the eel is eating some of them.
Originally posted by Ladd:
How many snails & hermits do you have? I had the same problem, 75gl tank. I added the Keep it Clean package. Which was 60 assorted snails, hermits, crabs, shrimp and a brittle star.... problem solved!

the rock

the rock says.....
blue legs will eat your snails if they are dying, dead, or flipped over. snails have been known to suffer from sudden snail death for no apparent reason. they are in general pretty hardy creatures but all scavengers will take advantage of them if they are exposed. the algae is likely in conjunction with your high nitrates and high phosphates, plus excess nutrients in your tank. what do you mean by brown hair algae? like grass or just a film? regular turbo snails don't eat hair algae but the mexican turbos will. sally lightfoots are brown algae eaters