Hair Algae

A

algaeman

I have had my 90g reef up for 6 months. Currently running 2 110 uri VHO's, 2 175 10K german metal halides, 100 lbs LR, and Berlin Classic Skimmer. The past 3 monts I have a major hair algae problem that I can't get rid of. Its so bad if I add a hard coral the algae starts growing on it right away. Nitrates are about 40 and won't go down even with 15% water changes every two weeks. Any suggestions would be greatful. :confused:

adrian

Excess nutrients can lead to hair algae as well as a build-up of nitrates. The way to combat this is to pay attention to nutrient import and export. Is you skimmer working correctly? Are you feeding too much? Is there any kind of bio media in the tank? You didnt mention your sandbed? How deep is it and what type of substrate is it composed of?

lancer

Change your BB name 'AlgaeMan'! No wonder you are having problems with the stuff! J/K. Good luck with that, Lancer

A

algaeman

I have a 3" live sand for my bed. I have two Sand sifters and my sand is clean from algae. I wish they would clean my LR, too.

S

starfishjackedme

I added 150snails and 30hermits, they polished the rock clean. Are you using RO/DI water? Something is not right for your nitrates to be that high. How many fish do you have?

A

algaeman

I have a Yellow, purple, and Sohal tang, two Gold striped Maroon Clowns, Purple Firefish, Manderine, two Neon Gobies, Flame Angel, Coral Beauty, Yellow Shrimp Goby, and a Six Line Wrass. I also have a Sally Lightfoot , 30 Hermits, and about 40 Snails. I Just turned my metal halides down to 5 hrs a day and it looks like the algae is dissapearing.

sounds like you need a clean up crew. Do you have any snails and crabs other than what you mentioned?...If not check out the deals swf.com gives you.
Dan

A

algaeman

I forgot to mention two Cleaner Shrimp, 3 Pepermint Shrimp, Red Serpant Star, and 2 Sand Sifters.

captained

I've had good luck using a combination of phosphate and nitrate sponges- read the directions on using them carefully, or else they won't work. Where the phosphates come from is a mystery to me since I use RODI water, zero phosphate food, salt mix and additives, but some still appears. If you haven't done so already, definitely get a phosphate test kit and check the levels.