hair algae

aw2x3

I had huge problems with hair algea...the local water has extremely high phosphates and I can't afford an RO/DI unit.
I'm talking hair algea, 6" - 8" long, that covered every square inch of rock, the back wall, powerheads, etc. I'd spend hours, every week, scrubbing the rocks...only to have the stuff come back within a few days.
Then, I bought 5 medium sized Zebra Snails. Within a week, every bit of hair algea was gone. This was maybe 3 weeks ago and I haven't had a single bit of it come back since.
Best $10 I've ever spent!

rockytop714

AW2x3, wow... our's isn't quite that bad, but it'd getting really, really close. I'll have to give that a shot and see if it works. just out of curiousity, how big is your tank? we have a 29g. Would that be too many?
I appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks a lot!

aw2x3

I put the 5 in my 90gal tank, with maybe 200lb of live rock. And, no joke...within a week, there wasn't a single trace of hair algea.
With your tank, I'd start by trying 1...see how he does. If he's not able to keep up with the regrowth, I'd throw in another.

naclfish

i had a real bad outbreak once i had to take out the rock scrubb in a 5gal bucket and wash in another bucket then waterchanges waterchanges waterchanges but if u dont find the source of the problem its only a temp fix. what kind of water do u use for your changes and how often

k8eydid

Lots of good advise here and on other threads for resolving the hair algae problem. I am considering purchasing a sea hare, zebra snails and spiney urchin to help keep the algae at bay. My current 220 reef tank does contain a 30" snowflake eel and I am wondering if he will make a quick meal out of any of these new critters or will they be safe?
I currently have hermits, mexican turbos and a sally lightfoot that he does not bother with but he did eat my purple lobster
. Also, just an FYI to other readers, my lawnmower blenny does NOT eat any hair algae.
Thanks!

big

Hi over there in Waynesboro!!!!!!! Which LFS do you use ??
I see you where looking for any and all advice. Is your lighting new for one question, A sudden increase in light will cause it sometimes. Two, like others have said, look at your phosphates levels, higher phosphates can lead to outbreaks.
Number three, (the one that worked for me) try cutting you lighting WAY back for a week or so. It will not hurt any corals you do have adversely. If prams are all in line cut the lighting way for a week or so.. Even doing this on a regular schedule is not a bad idea. ( like a two or three day storm reducing sun light on occasion in
nature.
I had one spot of the stuff that slipped by me on a frag that I pulled and fought forever. About 2 months ago I broke a leg on my hood. Sooooooo I
keep my lights off or only on with the actinic (blues ones) for short periods for over a week to keep the heat to a minimum till the new one came.
Guess what no more green crap!!!! The much reduced lighting was the trick that worked for me. !!!. Now if I ever see a trace of it show up anywhere , back down goes the light for a few days and it magically is gone!!.
............Warren