&##)*(&##!!! hair algae

greebs

I think I've got some hybrid stuff or something. Went to my lfs who tested my water and it's at an amount lower than his tests go, thanks to my adding Rowa several weeks ago. But the hair algae has continued to thrive for several months now.
He suggested I turn the lights off completely to at least kill off the current crop. Well, I've had them off for exactly one week now. The result? I didn't take a 'before' picture but have to believe the 'after' picture would be exactly the same minus my few low maintenance corals showing a little distress.
I'm going to keep the lights off and keep an eye on the corals, but not feeling too good about this. By the way the tank is in a basement that only has one small window on the far side away from where tank is located, facing west and it's mostly underground so no direct sunlight and very little indirect light at all down there.

marinemarty

What are your tank specs? What i did was switch to ro/di water added a brand new cleaner crew, and a small tang. I plucked as much hair out as i could and then let the critters loose, so far so good. HTH
Martin