Hair Alge

kennynj

CAN ANYONE TELL ME, WHEN HAIR
ALGE IS FINALY DIEING OFF, DOES
IT START TO TURN FROM GREEN TO BROWN?
:confused:

justinx

I cant really answer your question, but i am wondering what is the best way to get rid of it. I have several small patches and would like to know what to put in my tank so keep it under control

attml

I had some hair algae in my tank weeks or so after setting it up. Being a newbie at the time and not doing my research I had used tap water (which was full of algae food - i.e. phospahte, silicates etc..). Once I switched to distilled water and started keeping my feedings light, I basically stopped "feeding" the algae and it started to choke off. I had added a Yellow Tang, Emerald Crab, Snails, Hermits and my Pygmy Cherub Angel which were all algae eating machines which also helped. When it started to die off it turned brown then what was left eventually turned to a grayish looking dust. If you go to the picture page of my website (listed below) and look at the pics between days 14 & 25 you can see some hair algae if you look closely. If you look after that you can see some of the grayish looking dust on my LR in some of the shots. Hope that helps some - Good luck!