Hair Algea

palmer

For some reason it has started growing, very well I might add. I've sucked out all I could but it comes right back within a few days. Has anyone used the stuff called Chem Marin Stop Hair Algae? Just checking
50 gal bo front
Algae crew:
About 60 hermits blue and red
About 30 Turbo's
1 Lawnmower that I've never seen pick at the algae
Water temp at about 78
Quiet one 3000 on max flow
I didn't have this problem a few months ago, just recently. Let me know if you have used the Chem Marin stuff....

jobob

yea it works great. its a little hard to put on but once its on with in 3 days i saw a difference. u mite wanna take the rock out and scrub it and then add the stop algae. also make sure u have a syringe to apply it.

palmer

Oh yeah...add about 7 emerald crabs to the 'crew' and splash one rabbit fish that was supposed to eat the alage but ended up cashing out from starvation. Going to look into the Chem Marin stuff a little more...

jamie814

Yes it works :jumping: I have used it too like they said above it is a little hard to apply and you can not have any water flow around the treated area for a few hours or the stuff will get blown off of the hair algea. It also had no affects on corals as long as it was not allowd to come in direct contact with them. It basically dissolves the hair algea away and will to corals also if apllied right on them. It also makes coraline algea turn bright pink when applied directly to it, but the purple color came back after a few days. It smells alot like black licorice but I wouldn't eat it

THE MAIN THING IS TO FIND WHAT CAUSED THE HAIR ALGEA (high nitrates & phosphates usually) AND FIX THAT OR IT WILL CONTINUE TO GROW BACK EVEN WITH TREATMENT.

palmer

I tested my water for everything and it was all good, nothing too high or low. Calcium was a little too high so I'll watch that one. I was feeding every day, not too much where food 'made it' to the bottom, but I will try every other day to see if that makes a difference. The algae be gone should be here on Thursday so I'll report back early next week and let you guys know how it turned out.