Half Dead Corals

trigger111

My LFS gave me a half dead open green brain and a half dead plate coral. You can see the skeleton on them....is there any chance that they will come back to life? If so what can I do to help them? Thanks for your input!

clarkiiboi

I am not real familiar with them, but I just seen a thread about this with brains, maybe that will help some. The pics wont show up now cause of the upgrade, but you can keep checking. HTH

reefcrazy1

here is one of my brains that my lfs gave me for free first pic is day 1 and the second one is about 2 weeks later

jlm

oh, I'm so happy it looks like you can save this one. Unfortunatly we have a fish store out here where there coral always looks like that and I have saved a few. I'm happy to save the few I have but I wish the stores would either stop selling coral or learn to upgrade there lights and take care of there water out here.

sato

They should recover just fine if you have a good reef. I once got 2 Plate corals from one of the LFS around me one had just a tiny bit of flesh left on it about the size of a tip of a pen and in about 5 months it had fully regrown and was almost back to full health, the other one was in much better shape and and about quarter sized area of flesh left and in that 5 months it was fully grown to about a 6-7" diameter.

trigger111

still no luck on the brain...I had to throw the plate coral away....It clouded the tank and I think it was the cause of death for one of my fish. I'll update with pictures soon. Thanks for your replies.

jlm

sorry to hear. I know those plates almost never come back. But I've had good success with the brains. Just give it good light and offer some small meaty food. I used cut up silversides.