Halimeda as a nitrate exporter and any issues?

mkzimms

a friend just gave me a large handful of halimeda for my fuge. i was wondering if there are any issues concerning this type of macro algae like those present with the growing of caleurpa. i know the halimeda uses iodine and calcium but any problems going sexual is what i would really be worried about. is it ok to grow along with my cheato and how is it as a nitrate exporter? is its drain on calcium worth its benefit in other areas?

mr_x

they both grow so slow though....i don't think they are nearly as effective as the usual macros.

mkzimms

so would the consensus be that this type of macro would be better suited in my seahorse tank as a holdfast for the ponies rather than the sump for my lps/sps reef?

chilwil84

Originally Posted by mkzimms
http:///forum/post/2725081
so would the consensus be that this type of macro would be better suited in my seahorse tank as a holdfast for the ponies rather than the sump for my lps/sps reef?

yup its pretty sturdy should work fine but as X said watch your calcium halmedia needs it to grow.

mkzimms

sucks since i dont watch calcium very closely in the horse tank and i dont want it sucking all my calcium out of the sps tank. maybe ill just find someone who wants it locally or keep it in the horse tank until it dies. life is so complicated.