hallogen light?

crashedin0

well i want mh but i am broke
walmart has some worklights for 15 bucks
but the spectrum is all off can i slip a mh bulb in there and call it a day?
i dont kno about ballest or any of that
basicly cheap mh bulb out there?

cowfishrule

wont work
if you are gonna put an mh bulb in there, you need something to drive it.
if you are going with mh's, then do it the right way.
besides. jury rigging something like that is a great way to burn down your house

zman1

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
wont work
if you are gonna put an mh bulb in there, you need something to drive it.

That is correct. Besides that, if your talking about the DE yellow work lights, you can't convert even the housing with a new holder to accommodate the much larger physical size of a 250 DE or 400DE for sure (safely anyway). So you're not going to save any money that way on a pendant. I can't say what the size of the DE 150 are.
The slang, unless I am wrong is gerry-rig. WWII Germans were called Gerry as it is this the negative slang came from.
It might be better to say - McGyver-it (sp)

crashedin0

ohh wow i think i will have a grand ol time then
propagation and grow out tank here i come
BTW holly coraline growth once agin batman
lol
all that under a walwart work light score

zman1

Here is a picture of the light. Just so you know I am not recommending it, but I am not going to stop using it either.

mimzy

what about the hallogen bulb illicits that much growth? spectrum? color? intensity?
and doesn't it get MAD hot?
i know NOTHING about lighting - just so u know :thinking:

zman1

Originally Posted by Mimzy
what about the hallogen bulb illicits that much growth? spectrum? color? intensity?
and doesn't it get MAD hot?
i know NOTHING about lighting - just so u know :thinking:

Post 7 - That is a Hallogen bulb 500W. $8 fixture $3 or $4 bulb, $2 of chain.
Yes, it get's mad hot.
You know, so do my MH 250w pendants and for that matter so does the dual HQI ballast - I put a fan on that. this was about $800 w/VHOs

zman1

Mimzy,
How this started was when I put this stock tank up, I planned on putting 10k florescent tubes over it. I have a two light ,work light system on a stand and had it shining on the tank while I was hanging the fluorescents. I went upstairs for a while when I came back down the xenia frags were full opened and pulsing ... No way.....so I got one of the single light work lights and hung it instead. It's been there ever since. I am on my second bulb now. That's how this evolved, it wasn't planned and yes what you see has been under this light the whole time. I fragged the xenias and bought the other colored one later and split it.

mimzy

wow Zman, that's AWESOME! I've got a 12 gallon and can't afford a retrofit right now - that worklight sounds like a really great alternative. I might just have to try it, it'll be better than my current 30 wats of pc, anyhow.
did u change the bulb when it belw out, or do u change every couple months?

zman1

Originally Posted by Mimzy
wow Zman, that's AWESOME! I've got a 12 gallon and can't afford a retrofit right now - that worklight sounds like a really great alternative. I might just have to try it, it'll be better than my current 30 wats of pc, anyhow.
did u change the bulb when it belw out, or do u change every couple months?
Blew out.
I'd be careful on a 12 gal, it will cook your water. That 50 gal ST tank has a 30 Trash Can(Fuge), 75 gal tank, 10 gal (fuge) and sump that has probably 30 gal in it all tied together. The heat from the 500 W is spread over a bunch of water. Each of the other items listed have lights, but the 500W at the distance you see it from the tank makes the top edge warm, but not hot to the touch. Just measured it, 17.5" from glass to top of water.
I wouldn't put it on your 12 gal. Same goes for a 400W MH in the correct K range as this is the closes to compare to.

mimzy

ergh. even if I suspended it with good distance over the tank and had a fan blowing accross the top of the water?
what about a smaller hallogen lamp? like the ones that come in desk lamps, etc. Wish I had one...I could see what the wattage/etc was....

jamesthero

i asked my lfs today about this and he smiled and told me to look at the display and grow tanks and what did i see craftsman 1000watt looking me in the face wow they look as good the $1000 set up if not better he did say you need a fan or too

mimzy

people, I think we have an experiment on our hands....
I'm moving in January - I'm gonna do a halogen pendant when we get settled in and I'll keep everyone updated. THIS is exciting.

mimzy

oh good!! keep us updated!!
what do u plan on keeping? how big of a tank? how many watts??

jamesthero

not sure what im going to keep yet but is a 180gal im thinking 3 500watt or 2 1000watt not sure i know im doing xenias and mushrooms they look awsome

zman1

Originally Posted by jamesthero
not sure what im going to keep yet but is a 180gal im thinking 3 500watt or 2 1000watt not sure i know im doing xenias and mushrooms they look awsome

Your tank will look real yellow through the glass, I'll bet. That would be one of the draw backs here that you mat not be considering.