Halloween

mrdc

I loved Halloween as a kid and I enjoy taking my kids tricker treating. We don't have kids come to our house so we have to travel to other areas. They are having a thing at my daughter's school where candy is given out of automobile trunks. It's a christian school so I guess there won't be any dressing up. If they do get to dress up, I bet it will have to be kid friendly. A lot of people look at Halloween as evil but I don't get caught up in all that. I think it's a good way to just have fun and get free candy.
When I was a teenager, I loved trying to come up with things to scare kids. One year, I got on the roof and when people came to the door, I would jump off the roof, landing behind them and scare the mess out of them. I was dressed up with blood and I had a fake machete in hand. After 20 or so jumps, my kness sure would hurt. I also worked as the chainsaw guy at one of the local haunted houses. I had one dude pick a fight with me because he got so scared and I guess pissed at me for being the one scaring him.

chickadee

ugh, i was supposed to go to a haunted house with my hubby tomorrow, but his buddy's sick, so we're not going. My parents throw an annual halloween party, so i have the perfect costume picked out. check this out: an 80's biker chick zombie! woohoo!!! acid wash jeans, boots, leather jacket with the dangly threads, lots-o-eyeshadow, pale face, bags under eyes, festering cuts, and big big hair! I won the contest the last 2 years in a row. I was charlie chaplin the first year (it was so funny, cause i'm a girl, but apparently i did such a good job of dressing up that even my parents didn't recognize me.. people kept asking who i was and when i told them my name, they were like "ohmygosh, you're a girl?" lol! i was a vampire bride last year, and this year, THEY'RE NOT HAVING THE PARTY!!! I'm so upset!!! trick or treating in my neighborhood sucks cause we have 2 kids that come to our house. I had all of this leftover candy last year, so this year i'm just buying a few large candy bars...
when i was young, there was this house down the street, and the people went all out - crazy all out. The first year they were there, it was insane!!! He laid in a casket (sp?) and jumped up and scared everyone! The other guy down our street always setup a haunted house in their house. It was like $2 to get it, but it was scarry as all get out!

windmill

I used to do the whole halloween thing.....come to think of it I used to have fun too. But the whole work to earn money then live to pay bills thing really kinda took over. I haven't had fun or done a halloween in.......can't even remember....had to have been back in Arizona.....about 6 or so years. Goddamn I'm a loser......

alyssia

Originally Posted by francisco5
The local zoo is having 'Boo at the Zoo", that is where we will be taking the kids.

We have "Boo at the Zoo" here too, but it sucks.

maroonytun

I need some help, I'm injured, on crutches, so i'm staying home this year, I need a way to scare the crap out of my neighbors and friends.

ruaround

Originally Posted by maroonytun
What the heck is trunk or treat.
it happens in the parkinglot of Malls or Churches or Schools... the kids walk from car to car instead of from house to house... one parent walks the kids from car to car the other stays at the car and hands out candy... pretty kewl idea... cuts down on vandalism and other threats that occur on Halloween...

salty tank

Originally Posted by ruaround
it happens in the parkinglot of Malls or Churches or Schools... the kids walk from car to car instead of from house to house... one parent walks the kids from car to car the other stays at the car and hands out candy... pretty kewl idea... cuts down on vandalism and other threats that occur on Halloween...

I dont really like haloween anymore, but if i was a kid and went from trunk to trunk in a parking lot insted of house to house id be pissed. You might as well just go to the store and buy a bag of candy for yourself on halloween. Plus vandalism is apart of halloween, ha ha

ruaround

Originally Posted by salty tank
Plus vandalism is apart of halloween, ha ha
why is this??? your statement is obviously well thought out... well done you!!!
you must not have children of your own...

ruaround

Originally Posted by firefish9
The sentence says it all. TRICK or treat, must not be many treats :hilarious
WTF??? this sentence doesnt say anything...
you need to do some research about why we say "trick or treat" and what the real meaning of Halloween is... its certainly not about throwing eggs, kickin in pumpkins or stealing...

mimzy

still haven't decided wether or not 2have a party this year.... last year's was great, more of a "Let's hang out" party than a costume party...which is kewl, b/c all our friends r so scattered all over the place with such diverse schedules that we hardly ever get to see one another anyhow.
If we DO have a party, I'm going to dress up the dog. My husband hates to dress up, but the dog will let me do anything to him...wonder what we'll be......?

nicetry

Once when I was a kid, I couldn't decide what to be. My old man told me to put a pair of jockey shorts over my head and go as an ass! :notsure:
It's no easier now. On Halloween night I open the door and the kids give ME candy!

Actually, it's a very big deal at our house. Last year we had over 500 trick or treaters and could have given out another 100-200 candy bars, We have a walk through haunt that encompasses our front yard, drive, side yard and garage. It takes two days to set it up and another two to tear it down. I'll try to post some pics as we get started. Fun times and a great holiday!

emmitt2

Since ive had kids, ive really gotten into carving pumpkins. Each year i make them more elaborate(even though the patterns are traced on by me). The problem i have though is keeping them fresh after i carve them. They turn to mush in 1-2 days so i have to stay up all night the night before, carving them and only have time for 2 then.
Does anyone have any good home secrets to keep them from moldond and getting mushy? Ive tried vaseline and refrigerating(wifey loves that
) but they still are sagging by Nighttime. Anyone have any other secrets?

alyssia

Originally Posted by emmitt2
Since ive had kids, ive really gotten into carving pumpkins. Each year i make them more elaborate(even though the patterns are traced on by me). The problem i have though is keeping them fresh after i carve them. They turn to mush in 1-2 days so i have to stay up all night the night before, carving them and only have time for 2 then.
Does anyone have any good home secrets to keep them from moldond and getting mushy? Ive tried vaseline and refrigerating(wifey loves that
) but they still are sagging by Nighttime. Anyone have any other secrets?

Do you live where it's warm? I have problems w/them molding but not getting mushy (at least not for weeks).

emmitt2

Yes, I'm in Fort Lauderdale and it is usually high 70ish. This year it looks like it'll be in the 80's :scared:
Its really a pain having to carve them the night before. 3 years ago i did them 3 days before and put them in the fridge until Halloween night. They seemed ok but literally less than an hour after i put them out they were sagging :mad: By the time the kids came around you could barely tell what 1 of them was! The last 2 years i've had to pull practically all nighters to get them done, lol.