Halo's 28JbJ Reef/Invert Nano Diary

halostalker

Well i just ordered a reef nano tank=P, im so excited!!!!!
I ordered so far as follows:
JBJ 28 Gallon Nano Cube HQI Aquarium with FREE Stand -$500.00
Rainbow Lifegard Little Time Or Temp -$19.99
Aquarium Refractometer - $39.99
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Liquid Master Test Kit - 17.99
Hydor Koralia 1 Circulation Pump/Powerhead UL 400 gph - $23.99
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Doc Wellfish`s Hand Held Algae Pad (Acrylic Aquariums) 3 inch x 3 inch -$1.99
Filter Floss, 2L - $7.99
BY the way i ordered all this a hour before the superbowl started and guess what my fav team won GO GIANTS=P(from NYC)
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter - $31.99
Replacement Filter Cartridge for Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter - 15.99
SO everything costs including shipping $713.36

halostalker

I know im missing alot and i plan on ordering it a bit later, so far as soon as i get it i will let it run with just tap water for a week or 2, then by then i will order some live rock and have it curing in the tank and once im happy with the rock i will add sand and do a 100percent water change then my tank should be good after that all die off out of the tank and what not

[hr]
Im also thinking about having the lights on during the curing time so i can build up some nice coraline algae on the rock=P
P.S. im goin to play around with the temp and see if i need a chiller or not. If i don't im geting a HOB refugium=P

halostalker

Im also goin to keep everything i do noted so u guyz can see, i will take picz and such=P.
Hope all u guys can help me out
this tank has been inspired by DeMartini's tank which i have kept track of for a long time, also alot of helpful advise from here, Peef, Perfect Dark, Lion_crazz and so many others i can't remember now=P.
I will be doing a advanced reef tank with sps and a mix of everything im sure=P.
What i plan on doing is having this be a small Invert tank:
the stars will be:
a pair of harlequin shrimp(i know they eat stars lol=P
Sexy shrimp
Anemone shrimp
emperor shrimp(look sweet)
bumble bee shrimp
Porcelain Crab
pom pom crabs
upside down jelly fish
I know i know more inverts plz feel free to add any or tell me some advise=P
Also i kno i will buy a fish down the line after all the coral and inverts come first but im thinking of a court jester goby or a Pseudochromis.

n8ball2013

when you mean cure everything in just tap water you do realize that is going to kill the rock off completely right?

shrimpi

Originally Posted by HaloStalker
http:///forum/post/2456269
I know im missing alot and i plan on ordering it a bit later, so far as soon as i get it i will let it run with just tap water for a week or 2, then by then i will order some live rock and have it curing in the tank and once im happy with the rock i will add sand and do a 100percent water change then my tank should be good after that all die off out of the tank and what not

[hr]
Im also thinking about having the lights on during the curing time so i can build up some nice coraline algae on the rock=P
P.S. im goin to play around with the temp and see if i need a chiller or not. If i don't im geting a HOB refugium=P
no no no tapwater! you have to fill it with saltwater or it defeats the purpose
also- a few weeks is not alot of time for coralline to grow. It can take a long time especially with a new tank. Just set it up with sand, saltwater, some rocks, and let it cycle for a month or whatever.... the coralline will come in time.
Good Luck!!
Jess

halostalker

lmao i know saltwarer to cure, trust me i did my research.=P, i kno but i wana cure it in the tank so im sure that later i will not get any die off. well i was wondering if i cure it with a light cycle will that make some coraline algae grow(i will be doing water changes to suck out the die off and what not so the water spec will me nice with alot of calcium in the tank=P
P.S. i will get the tank and run it with tap water to check for leakz and brake everything in including the skimmer a bit, b/c it states that it needs a brake in period with out it doin any work.
P.S. Im being smart about this as i did research for over a year or 2 already for a tank like this so i don't mind that everything takes its time b/c i will do it right the first time. When i get the live rock i will make sure to add salt to the tank lol(i will treat it like fish and stuff can live in it if i wanted), but i will only have the live rock in there and cure it over a couple weekz who knows monthz even. after im Happy about how the rock is i will add sand and then maybe then i will consider adding something small like a snail or a little polyp. I hope my LR comes with alot of hitchhikers so i can notice there progress in the tank

halostalker

well as of now it was shipped today so i expect to get it in 5-6 dayz hopfully. Now im making of lists of what other stuff i need u kno a good healter, 160 gallons of salt and other stuff including live rock.

halostalker

yes this will be the diary and i will have picz but as of now i don't even have a tank heheh, well i should start off with a diary of my self,
My Name is Adam
18 years old
full time job
Full time college student(thats where most of my money goes)
I live in SI New York( GO Giants baby)
I love all kinds of animals and have alot of pets so i do have to spend money to keep there mouths fed.
Well i would of got this tank a while ago but i kept giving money to my parents b/c they r goin threw a hard time. Its not that bad but now i get to focus a little on me. So for the past 2 years i have been on these forums and reading all i can at my spare time.
SO i have a couple of thousand in the bank lmao maybe 2-3k lmao not alot=(, and im goin to spend at least 1000 up front so far only spent 714 but i still have alot to buy and im also counting on geting more pay checkz which some will go to the tank=P

halostalker

Also i wanted to say that i plan on geting a HOB refugium so i can grow chaeto and have pods
reproduce in there=P, also i will spend 60 buck to upgrade my lighting from 150wats to 186watz with 2x 18 wat actinic PC retro kit which cost $60. (Thanx so much for telling me Peef)

peef

Off to a good start I would say. One thing about the tap water, I know you clarified that you are doing the curing with saltwater, BUT honestly even for the curing I would stay away from tapwater. Even though quite a few people keep successful tanks using tapwater from day one, if your tapwater is way off the chems will be leached into your sand and rock and will stay even if you do a 100% water change. Just MO, like I said many people swear it makes no difference but I take the whole, "Why take a chance" outlook!!!
Stealth makes a great heater that is shatter proof. I use Oceanic salt and love it. All of the levels are perfect. It dissolves VERY quickly so if you needed to do an emergency water change and had no SW mixed and ready to go you could squeeze by with a few hours of pre-mixing.
Your Coraline algae growth will probably not be noticable within the first month but it is a good idea to run your lights during the curing process. It is honestly a help if you run the lights more than you normally would (since you are keeping an empty tank for awhile). It will cause your diatom bloom to start quicker which will help in normalizing your levels quicker than they ordinarily would.

K

kat74

Originally Posted by HaloStalker
http:///forum/post/2456281
I will be doing a advanced reef tank with sps and a mix of everything im sure=P.
What i plan on doing is having this be a small Invert tank:
the stars will be:
a pair of harlequin shrimp(i know they eat stars lol=P
Sexy shrimp
Anemone shrimp
emperor shrimp(look sweet)
bumble bee shrimp
Porcelain Crab
pom pom crabs
upside down jelly fish

I cannot WAIT to see how this develops!~ Sounds exciting! Definately keep us posted!~

halostalker

Thanx everyone=P, yea i kno tap water bad!!!!! thats y i ordered a Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter, being from NY we have pretty good drinking water (best in the country). But i still will filter the water and test it to make sure there isn't something wrong with it. Copper would be a big issue as this is a invert tank. thanks peef for taking notice=P

halostalker

i just seen a anemone rock shrimp it costs 25 dollars oh man i want it heheh but i still have no tank to put it in=(

fish addict

Your tank plan looks awesome! All those shrimps in there will be sweet! Just a quick question though, how are you going to feed the harlequins? I want one but I don't want to buy a starfish every week to keep him satisfied. I can't wait till the tank is up and running! so exciting!

halostalker

Originally Posted by fish addict
http:///forum/post/2460396
Your tank plan looks awesome! All those shrimps in there will be sweet! Just a quick question though, how are you going to feed the harlequins? I want one but I don't want to buy a starfish every week to keep him satisfied. I can't wait till the tank is up and running! so exciting!
well yea i'll get a nice pair b/c for the last year i have been looking at breeding them and its a big challenge i'll like to get my hands wet with. the bad news is they only eat stars=( i hear some eat frozen pieces but what im goin to do is buy alot of chocolate sea stars and i will cut a leg at a time letting it regrow idk i'll try this out, well a star is like 5- 10 dollars and u only need one big one for a month so its not that bad.
But i have a friend who's dad has a 100g with only a Lion fish in it and it used to have a shark and stuff but i will put the stars in there, he won't mind=P, also this tank has so many bristle worms its not funy i mean like billions. all the LS is mixed with them im guessing they r from feeding to many silver sides lol

halostalker

i just seen a Flaming prawn goby this thing would so pawn in my tank lmao but i don't know about its price tage 160 dollars on something so small=P
i think i need a sponser to make my dreams possible lol