Halo's 28JbJ Reef/Invert Nano Diary

halostalker

well today was supposed to be the day i was geting my tank, but due to some bad weather on the ups flight path my order got delayed and will be here in another week, my first package will be here 2/11/08 and the other 2 will be here in 2/14/08 =(
I called up and because of this delay they will refund my shipping of 53.45 =P well i guess i can order more stuff for it now=P

halostalker

k So far its just running on fresh water. i know this guy that will sell me 40 pounds of LR for 4 dollars a pound. i plan on having the LR kind of cure with out any sand so i can easly clean up the mess=P. i have been wondering i don't wana crash the tank so what should i put the LR on, maybe something like paperbownty. so far i have been watching the temp of the halides after a couple of hours and im amazed how cool the top is even after 8 hours of running and the tank doesn't warm up that much either i will still have to test it with in the rang of 78f.
Also as u see i have a 400 gph power head in there as well, should i order another powerhead
and if so should it be stronger then 400 gph or should i get a smaller one or just another same size=P

halostalker

i mixed reef crystals in and i recalibrated my refractometer, i used all DO filtered water so tank is pure right now=P
maybe i can get some LR tomorrow or Monday i was wondering i wana have the LR in the tank for a while with out anything and i don't wana scratch the acrylic so what should i put under the rock if anything at all?

halostalker

K i got about 50 pounds for so cheap it was great=P, i got so much that i couldn't fit all of it in=P
the rock is so beautiful its awesome.
After i got the rock i put it in that container with a little water and put all that paper on it and i soaked the paper in tank water so my rock wouldn't dry out before i got home=p
Enjoy the crapy picz lol, my tank looks so sweat now i actually think i have to much rock=P
i'll show u picz of it soon but im trying to get a good camera

halostalker

I got 2 bags of 20 LBS Live Sand. So 40 pounds is alot of sand=P. i removed most of the rock and added the sand its still pure white but i have the filters running including the powerhead and i have my skimmer on max=P

Now im waiting for to clear up so i can add the LR again=P
and now i just need to wait for a cycle and i think im good=P at least for shrimp and stuff so far
coral come in a month or 2

halostalker

k so after i added 2 bags of sand it only took like 10 hours and the water was clear again thank to the skimmer which sucked everything out.
here r some tank picz with my camera

halostalker

more
oh and last pic has a little mushroom that i added from a old tank for some reason i tryed different methods of attaching it to a rock , like a rubber band and glue but it keeps movin off and i put it into a coupld of holes but it comes out. plus the old tank only had 15 watts on it and this one has 150 so i like where he is now hes not moving and hes sort of in the shade. (i know very early to be adding stuff but the other tank is getin torn down

halostalker

oh by the way these rockz are huge and very beautiful i can tell u i will never buy from the LFS again thats how pretty these r, so the guy told me he got me 50 pounds but i think it weights more so i have alot of dam LR in the tank
im excited b.c its so cool for inverts a big play ground with holes and caves, but on the other hand its alot of LR and i don;t know how i will fit alot of coral in lol i guess i will have to cut alot and keep them small=P that means more frags for u guyz
Also there is this cool seaweed plan growing on one of the LR, the guy i bought the LR from has it all in his sump and says its awesome grows fast and is pretty nice also=P so will be watching and cutting this plant once in a while=P
i really like how it waves in the flow
Also i think i have alot of flow that koralia #1 is big and puts out a decent amount of flow and so far not much settles down not even in the back which is nice and i hope that means i don't have much dead spots
i understand that stuff will build up in the caves and under the rockz so i plan on doin a huricane once in a while by moving the rockz a bit and causing alot of flow with my hands

halostalker

just did a ammonia test and it appeared like i didn't have any after all this is LR thats been in a lite sump for years, but after a couple of more minutes it appeared a little of so i guess my cycle is starting=P

peef

Nice find on the live rock! One thing make sure that your live rock base is not just on the sand. Put it, IN the sand resting on the bottom of the tank. You might get a tiny scratching on it but hey its the bottom of the tank so you will never see it. This helps to avoid any critters burying themselves under your rock causing it to shift and in turn a huge avalanch that could destroy your entire tank.
Don't worry if you think you have too much live rock right now. You will take some out for sure by the time you get the tank with corals where you like it. You will also rearrange your tank numerous times. I probably had about 2-3 times the amount of LR in mine at the start to what I have now.
It looks great so far! Good job!

peef

PS. For your two returns you should look into getting a couple hydorflo revolving water deflectors. They make the wave effect and are cheap and easy to install. I run one on my tank as I only have the one return
....but oh well. I will upgrade to this type of nano when I can afford it.