hammer coral

xxxespoxxx

hi Guys,
I'm new to this site and to this hobby but just curious when i put my hammer coral in it looked like it started milking what does that mean.

scubanoah

do you mean when you put it in the tank? did you acclimate it properly? what i think you are describing is normall, when a new coral is added to a tank when it is stressed but should be normal looking in a couple days or so.

xxxespoxxx

i would assume i aclimated it properly but today is day two nothing has opened up and it doesn't look like what i bought when it was open at the LFS. As well it looks like in some areas its turning in to a skelton

glowplug

I had a coral do that once when adding to the tank,immediatly when it touched the water, looked like milk or something was coming off of it like smoke. When some corals feel extremly threatned and think they are not going to survive, they will excrete baby juice. Your coral is allready or about to die, just like mine did, but 3 weeks later I had a little baby that looked just like it show up on the other side of the tank!----When i first saw it happening I thought it was trying to attack other corals but everything was a ok, well other then the dying part--good luck, and keep posting about this because i am by no means a biologist!

dreamer44

Originally Posted by glowplug
I had a coral do that once when adding to the tank,immediatly when it touched the water, looked like milk or something was coming off of it like smoke. When some corals feel extremly threatned and think they are not going to survive, they will excrete baby juice. Your coral is allready or about to die, just like mine did, but 3 weeks later I had a little baby that looked just like it show up on the other side of the tank!----When i first saw it happening I thought it was trying to attack other corals but everything was a ok, well other then the dying part--good luck, and keep posting about this because i am by no means a biologist!
I didn't know hammer coral could move around...? How could it show up on the other side of the tank? I thought it just grew new, 'shoots' for lack of a better word, and got bigger??
someone please explain this to me?
thank you
Lori

perfectdark

Hmmm not sure either, but to what I have heard, the way a LPS coral spreads is that it kinda oozes out of its skeleton onto what is below or around it and attaches to it. Once it has done that it will release itself from the main portion and now you have 2. I know its not uncommon for your coral to not come out for a couple of days after introducing it to your tank. And the whitish material coming off of it could be nothing more than a slime coat as its adjusting itself.