Hammer coral

florida joe

There are many differences in where they grow in nature and the corresponding lighting conditions they need in order to survive. Corals are highly adaptive to different lighting conditions, but some are more sensitive to change than others. It takes time for a coral to acclimate to its new environment, and care must be taken to help the organism adjust. This is especially important with some of the very intense lighting systems, like metal halides and T-5 fluorescents. Some corals, when not acclimated properly, can actually be "sunburned" by the artificial lighting, which opens the door to infection and possible demise. Place your new coral on the bottom of the aquarium in the substrate until the coral adjusts to the new lighting. A good sign that the coral has adjusted to the new system is when they appear fully expanded and display full coloration. At that time, the coral can be moved to the desired location. Continue to monitor the coral's response to its new location, and if its coloration and expansion appear to decrease, relocate the coral to a lower position.

shinobi9119

WOW thank you, that was something I hadnt even thought of. But how about acclimating it from the bag to a tank? Like temp, or drip, or just plop it in?

florida joe

Originally Posted by Shinobi9119
http:///forum/post/2702931
WOW thank you, that was something I hadnt even thought of. But how about acclimating it from the bag to a tank? Like temp, or drip, or just plop it in?
I use an dip like Povidone – Iodine 10% solution, you can get it at most drug stores its inexpensive I add it to a container of tank water that will just cover the coral until I get the look of strong tea and leave my coral in the solution for 3 to 5 min then I just put them in my tank but this is just what I have done with success with soft corals and not a rule