Hammer Question

sputz

I have a hammer coral that has a dead spot on one side (I bought it that way on sale). It is creating another section off to the side of the dead spot. Will the hammer grow back into the skeleton with time or should I cut off the dead piece? What would be the best technique to cut it off if that is the best thing for the coral?
Thanks.

bizzleb01

I don't know that it will grow back into the existing dead skeleton, but I have one that was given to me in bad shape and it now has about six little heads growing off the side of dead head. So I'd say leave it in and maybe some new ones will grow off.

socal57che

Originally Posted by Bizzleb01 http:///forum/post/2778412
I don't know that it will grow back into the existing dead skeleton, but I have one that was given to me in bad shape and it now has about six little heads growing off the side of dead head. So I'd say leave it in and maybe some new ones will grow off.
I agree. Mr X has a pic of a dead branch that he left in the tank. His "dead" branch pic was full of new growth. Like 6 new starts. Leave it and see if will recover. I'm sure he'd be happy to post a pic of it here if you PM him and ask.
I found the thread with his pic...
It was actually a frogspawn, but your hammer is very similar. Here's a link to the thread.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/327240/pics-of-frogspawn-sprouting-heads

rotarymagic

Let the branches grow out a bit so you don't hit any fleshy areas when fragging off the dead area... hammer and chisel might work just fine, I just broke mine like a turkey wishbone once they grew out enough. If in doubt, iodine dip afterwards. I effed up one time and a head split down the middle while fragging and I had to keep it rubberbanded together for a few weeks till it grew back together... it was like a cast for a broken leg LOL... it got iodine dipped ASAP haha.

sputz

Thanks for the replys and the tips on how to frag it when the time comes, for now Ill leave it alone. He is growing just fine so Im sure ill have a few more sections in no time. When it fully opens only about half an inch of skeleton shows but when retracted its about an inch.