Hammer ?s

blackjacktang

I got a new Hammer head coral today and it is small and has 2 heads that are about 2 in. across. I got ot for my 3g pico and I have a few quastions about it:
1. When is the best time to feed them mysis shrimp
2. how long does it uslay take for them to open and loot really pretty. ( I got mine about 3 hours ago)
3. how much flow
4. Is 18w 50/50 14 000k light okay for it in a 3g? It is enogh for a xenia to live because I have one in it.
Thanks

spanko

they will eat most anytime you want to gently turkey baste the food on them.
At most a day.
So the tentacles just wave in the flow. Don't want them blowing hard as it will hurt the tissue.
They are beautiful coral and fairly easy to care for.
Here is a picture of mine.

b_clark711

Originally Posted by Blackjacktang
http:///forum/post/2704266
I got a new Hammer head coral today and it is small and has 2 heads that are about 2 in. across. I got ot for my 3g pico and I have a few quastions about it:
1. When is the best time to feed them mysis shrimp
2. how long does it uslay take for them to open and loot really pretty. ( I got mine about 3 hours ago)
3. how much flow
4. Is 18w 50/50 14 000k light okay for it in a 3g? It is enogh for a xenia to live because I have one in it.
Thanks
You can feed them just about anytime! They have sweeper tentacles that come out at night and gather food but they will accept food anytime, like the above post said, gently feed them with a turkey baster or dropper. As for the lighting you should be alright. I have several frogspawn & hammer corals and I have around 5.5 watts per gallon of water and you are pushing 6 watts per gallon of water, which is plenty. The only thing, again as mentioned above, that will inhibit your hammer is high flow. Don't get me wrong, they like flow, but gently flow, not pounding down on them flow! LOL