Hammer shrinking

I'm worried about my hammer. He is not inflating as large as he use to. The lights are the same which makes me wonder are t-5's enough for him? The calcium and ph are perfect. It seems like every week that goes on he is not as large as he use to be. Please give me some input. Thanks.

pbienkiewi

Give us some more information.
How big is your tank?
Where is he located?
What kind of lighting do you have? t5 what or how old are the bulbs?
What are your ph, calcium levels, and SG or salinity/temperature of the tank? What are you testing for?
Water changes are done how often and how much?
Have you raised your calcium levels recently or do you dose any chemicals?

How big is your tank? - 120
Where is he located? - prettty high about ten inches from the top
What kind of lighting do you have? - t5 what or how old are the bulbs? t-5s, 108 watts very new. wondering if they are enough?
What are your ph, calcium levels, and SG or salinity/temperature of the tank?
8.2, 450, 1.022, 74-76
What are you testing for? - ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates,
Water changes are done how often and how much? - every two weeks 25%
Have you raised your calcium levels recently or do you dose any chemicals?
Calcium has been steady for about a month and I dose essential elements, strontium & magnesium, iodine.
thanks for your help!

pbienkiewi

I don't believe two 54 watt t-5 bulbs is enough lighting for a tank of your size. If you are going to add corals you are going to need to upgrade your lighting. How long have you had the tank set up for? What are the reading you are checking for? I would not be dosing strontium, magnesium, and iodine if you are not checking there levels. Your salt should be replacing any of those chemicals.

I was wondering if my t-5s were enough as well....but good news! I took a little water flow off him and he is bigger than ever. But never the less I am working on a retro halide set-up.

shrimpi

I think you need more light, but I doubt that he is shrinking because of it... how is your flow? Hammers and froggies usually respond well when placed in a different flow.
I would upgrade lights asap and check to see how much he is getting beat up by the power heads.. also what is your tank temp?

I had him in a high flow place and moved him to a lower flow place. My temp stays great, 76-77. The lights are on order!!