Hammers and frogspawn not looking good

BanditMan15

I am loosing heads on my hammer and frogspawn and not sure why? I will do tests tomorrow to post on here which I should have already done but just wanted a little insight and post pictures.

Attachments

BanditMan15

Everyone keeps telling me to dip in iodine and I have not the slightest clue how to do it...
SG 1.025
Temp 78
Ammonia 0
I'll get rest tomorrow

bang guy

The most common issues for these are low Alkalinity, insufficient waterflow, insufficient lighting, and high Phosphate.

Have you been feeding them?

BanditMan15

Zooplankton phytoplankton brine shrimp although I do not spot feed them should I? Each head? I'm getting Alk Cal and Mg now

bang guy

It's not required to feed them in perfect conditions but it does increase the odds of success if you spot feed them meaty seafood. Things like minced clams, prawn roe, minced scallops, squid, etc. They are carnivores, not filter feeders.

BanditMan15

I was too worried I pulled it out ... But my frogspawn is what's really concerning me here's stats:
79 degrees
PH 8.2
NH3 0
NO2 .05
NO3 high 10+ or 50ppm
PH4 .10
Alk low 7.9
Ca I think a little low 355
Mg 1400
Just been feeding whole tank brine shrimp. And then phyto and zoo 3 times a week... Now I did how ever go to super market and buy frozen seafood mix but I noticed at bottom it says cooked ... I have been blending that up it has calimari, shrimp, mussels, octopus, crabmeat I have been putting that in the food squares that my brine shrimp came in frozen I have only done a few cubes since I got because I just noticed that cooked label ...what should I do...

lmforbis

Brine shrimp has little nutritional value. Mysis is better.
Don't feed cooked seafood only raw.
Not sure the phyto and zoo plankton does much good. I spot feed my hammer, frogspawn, and challis mysis a couple times a week. I do spot feed my non photosynthetic reef frenzy.

BanditMan15

Brine shrimp has little nutritional value. Mysis is better.
Don't feed cooked seafood only raw.
Not sure the phyto and zoo plankton does much good. I spot feed my hammer, frogspawn, and challis mysis a couple times a week. I do spot feed my non photosynthetic reef frenzy.
Thanks ... You use any mysis? How do you spot feed you'd put directly in mouth?

bang guy

If you start target feeding them just before lights out they will become accustomed to feeding at that time. It's natural for them to start feeding AFTER lights out so you will need to adjust their schedule for you convenience.

I use a turkey baster. Target feed the corals and let the fish clean up what the corals miss.

To target feed, squirt food right at the polyp but not into the mouth. The food needs to be captured by the tentacles.

bang guy

Whatever frozen seafood is on sale. The mixed bags is great if it's raw. Not sure about cooked. It might be OK just not what I would suggest. I blend it all up together with some RO water and Selcon or Cod Liver Oil. That way there's a variety of sizes for all of the reef inhabitants. Remember to feed a bit less as this type of food contains more nutrition.

BanditMan15

I just tried to feed my big frogspawn and wouldn't take any brine it would take with tenicles but release after awhile... None of the heads would take the food... Now my hammerhead looked to take a few

bang guy

Has your Nitrate always been so high? That's definitely not going to help. Fish don't mind that much but it will make it difficult for corals.

BanditMan15

Yes it has and I do not know why!?! I've tried everything from no3po4x to a reactor (phosphate/nitrate) making sure I am not over feeding doing a water change tonight