hang on filtration?

manchester

i have a 40 brd that i want to do reef in but i have to have hang on filtration.
i was thinking of the Amiracle SL-5 wet dry and the CPR-refugium, or maybe the the Amiracle SL-5 and the cpr bak pak reef ready
i was just wondering what you guys would use
thanks
chris

jumpfrog

You might get more responses in the reef section. When I first started my 72 I used a Whisper 3 hang on along with some live rock for filtration. After I had about 80lbs of LR and added a refugium I stopped filtering with the Whisper and now just use it to hold a bag of carbon and aid in water movement. I have 3 whispers and two penguins and I've had no real trouble with any of them. I like Whispers better for salt.
Good Luck!

ocellaris_keeper

First - in order to have a reef aquarium - You don't even need filtration if you set it up right.
the Modified Berlin Method uses Live Rock, a Deep Sand bed, and a protien skimmer, a couple of power heads to move the water around and weelky water changes and have 25 snails/hermits and a few starfish.
My FOWLR/LS system has been running for two years with no filtration - I know when I haven't been keepng up with my water changes, the polyps close for a day.
think about it - it's the natural way.

fshhub

i agree with ocellaris_keeper, get a skimmer instead of a wet/dry, especialy in a reef, and use lr and a dsb too
you will probably thank yourself later