hang on skimmers.. are they worth it

superchargedvr

my 55 gallon set up with about 50 lbs LF 2 inch LS bed and 2 power heads.. and a wisper 60 filter that im ditching for a bio wheel version...
my question is.. would a nice protein prizm skimmer be good to add?
thanks guys!

mattp098

yeah you can never have too much filtration/skimming. I have a skimmer in the sump of my 125 gal. that is actually designed for up to 300 gal. tanks.

dmjordan

a skimmer of any kind is better than nothing. though if you look around you can find a better one than the prism. i have a aqua c remora hob and i love it. good skimmer for under $200.

tankyou

Originally Posted by mattp098
yeah you can never have too much filtration/skimming.
Actually, you can. Overskimming can rob an aquarium of beneficial nutrients.

bojik

Originally Posted by Tankyou
Especially for many soft corals /filter feeders.

crzyfshygy

Get the Deltec MCE 600 if your serious about skimming........do it right the first time....you will eventually see what I mean if you get the prizm. That skimmer is lowest on the totem pole

murray bmf

I'm not trying to be a dork, but what exactly is "overskimming" ?

thangbom

imo all hob/hot skimmers are over priced compared to what you can get out of a in sump/fuge one.. a big part of skimmers is the reaction chamber size.. and that is limited by it being hob/hot... a $200 in sump will beat the pants off a hob/hot.. ( try comparing a ramora pro vs tf1000 or css )
downside.... well you need a sump /fuge but they are well worth it...
YzGyz

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by dmjordan
a skimmer of any kind is better than nothing. though if you look around you can find a better one than the prism. i have a aqua c remora hob and i love it. good skimmer for under $200.
I agree with this. I would steer clear from Prizm, SeaClone, and Jebo and look towards AquaC, Coralife, or Excalibur.

rudezuk

I believe that this is just a myth!
If there isnt anything to skim out of the water then it wont....but always buy a skimmer that is rated larger than what your tank is.
And yes even a backpack skimmer will make a difference in your tank. If you are short of room, there are backpak/fuge combo skimmers you can use. this would allow you a small fuge for cheto to get rid of nitrates and possibly grow some pods too

f14peter

Originally Posted by rudezuk
I believe that this is just a myth!
If there isnt anything to skim out of the water then it wont....but always buy a skimmer that is rated larger than what your tank is.
And yes even a backpack skimmer will make a difference in your tank. If you are short of room, there are backpak/fuge combo skimmers you can use. this would allow you a small fuge for cheto to get rid of nitrates and possibly grow some pods too

Also, a properly set up skimmer will only skim the surface water, where many/most of the targeted elements are. I got the skimmer box for my RemoraPro that only allows surface water in, and prevents bubbles from the skimmer entering the tank. I ran it for a few weeks without the box, and it skims much more after I put the box on.
I've also heard that it's best if a skimmer can access the dirtiest water it can, so a skimmer in a sump should ideally be place pre-filtration. That said, a skimmer post-filtration still works well.

bojik

You can also buy a good skimmer and put it under/to the side of the tank (if no room in stand) and make a reservoir box to put it in with a return pump. Instead of making a larger sump setup.

bojik

Originally Posted by murray BMF
I'm not trying to be a dork, but what exactly is "overskimming" ?
Please don't use the word dork.....It is something a male whale has. *coughs*

murray bmf

I'm not sure if your joking, but the American-Heritage Dictionary defines dork as:
"1. a stupid or ridiculous person; jerk; nerd.
2. volgar "
I did not mean to offend, but I am using proper English within the context of my statement.

bojik

Originally Posted by murray BMF
I'm not sure if your joking, but the American-Heritage Dictionary defines dork as:
"1. a stupid or ridiculous person; jerk; nerd.
2. volgar "
I did not mean to offend, but I am using proper English within the context of my statement.
Older slang usage of the word. Sorry not trying to bother but its a minor pet peeve heh.