Happy Unhappy Birthday To Me!!

benter

Came home yesterday after work early..3:00.. and what do I find? My heater had apparently shorted out and wiped out my tank.. I guess noone has to answer my post about, can you keep a male and female leopard wrasse together...I think all the corals are toast as well! All the inverts are gone..copepods by the thousands...all my bristle worms...hermits...Funny thing was I had just entered the from above contest and had just posted pics yesterday morning..And today is my BIRTHDAY what a
birthday. After working til the wee hours of the morning, complete water change, I have started over again.Just wanted some sympathy from fellow reefers.. Here are my poor fish..and the culprit heater...

wangotango

o crap, that looks like the heater that i just replaced my old one with! is it the pro heat? looks like the temp probe was the culprit.

ninjamini

That stinks. Poor fishies. There has to be something that we can do to cut power to the heater when the temp rises.

benter

I have only had the heater for like 5 months...I'm not going to use that brand again that's for sure...yes it is the pro heat..believe it or not my Lord Acans and the big maze brain may survive!!!! I miss my fish terribly already.. Guess I had better not add anything for awhile and hope what is left survives...

alyssia

Originally Posted by fedukeford
uhoh, thats the same heater i have in my 125 reef

sorry for your loses
:scared: I have that heater too.
Sorry for your loss, I had a glass heater explode in my tank once.

mudplayerx

Happy birthday! Sorry to hear about your unspeakable tragedy. I know if it happened to me, I would probably need counseling.
If you decide to stay in the hobby, get an Ebo Jager brand heater. I've had the same one for over 15 years.
Hope you stick with the hobby!

bill109

im so sorry to hear about your loss. and on your b-day o man tht sux .. get new swf stuff for your b day !
can i ask you what kind of fish tht litte white guy is on the bottom right?
he looked like a cool fish.

big

That is scary!!!!! I sure hope the rest of your Birthday works out better!!!!!!!!!! Warren
:mad:

S

scoobs

Originally Posted by Benter
Came home yesterday after work early..3:00.. and what do I find? My heater had apparently shorted out and wiped out my tank.. I guess noone has to answer my post about, can you keep a male and female leopard wrasse together...I think all the corals are toast as well! All the inverts are gone..copepods by the thousands...all my bristle worms...hermits...Funny thing was I had just entered the from above contest and had just posted pics yesterday morning..And today is my BIRTHDAY what a
birthday. After working til the wee hours of the morning, complete water change, I have started over again.Just wanted some sympathy from fellow reefers.. Here are my poor fish..and the culprit heater...

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH A HEATER EXACTLY LIKE THIS! I CAUGHT IT IN TIME WHEN I NOTICED TANK WAS LOOKING BAD..

I Think the old school glass heaters or a nice inline heater is sooo much better.. and safer
Myself if anyone ask me if they should get a heater like this i would beg them not to.

viper_930

Very sorry to hear about it.
Unfortunately, won bros heaters are notorious for crashing tanks like this.

dragonboy

I had a similar situation but it was involve with my light that drop into my water. Good thing I found out about it before it was too late but some of the corals had to recover from the slight shock luckly I only had a clown fish and he was fine. Just have to becareful about electric you have to check your equipment every so often to make sure things are intact so they won't break down on you like that.

reef diver

So so sorry, but heres a little proverb for you, "Death is nothing to the living but the beginning of a new life." We all really hope you stay in the hobby. My friend killed his turtle that way.

benter

WOW..guys and gals..thanks for the support....Oh and don't worry..no way I can ever get out of this PASSION..I have never..got even close to the feeling the enjoyment that all my saltwater creatures bring into my life...I do feel terrible about the loss of life that I took the responsibility to care for though..And Bill that little white fish was a circus goby..He was the first fish that I had gotten after moving ..he was the COOLEST...Just wanted to take the time to expres my appreciation to each and every one of you and hope none of you have to go through this...AND IF YOU HAVE THIS TYPE OF HEATER
REPLACE IT