Happy Valley Not So Happy

gemmy

Paterno was fired tonight. I believe he may have fulfilled his legal obligation in this mess, but in no way fulfilled the moral obligations.

meowzer

I just can not imagine the thought behind...."I will retire at the end of the year" give me a break

reefraff

Well, he should have hung it up a long time ago. He's had a few good season recently but they went through a long dry spell.

wangotango

As a former Penn Stater it's embarrassing that the people that are supposed to uphold the university's image, reputation, and integrity completely failed to do so. Spanier (former president) also got the boot. It's also embarrassing to see the negative student reaction that's been taking place since all of this has developed. Turning over trucks doesn't help much.
We'll see how good of a job Bradley does. With morale, staff changes, an unclear QB, and other things, it'll be an interesting finish to the season.

meowzer

As more and more comes out......the whole thing sickens me.....I had not read a lot, BUT did watch a segment on the news tonight
all I can say is VERY DISTURBING.....

wangotango

I still don't understand why Mcqueary was just "asked not to be in the stadium Saturday." Seems like he had a pretty large role in not doing much about it.

meowzer

I think there is still A LOT more to come out.......
The bad thing is...you know there are gonna be A LOT OF false accusations now ...happens all the time

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I still haven't found out what happened to the abuser once it was reported what he was doing in the shower? Did he remain at Penn, fired and told to move on, what?
You wonder about the moral compass of students that we, as tax payers, are putting through school via student aide. Its hard to understand how a young person can think this is ok to know this and not call the police or at least know that something had been done. What about the guy who witnessed this? What the heck; did he just go back to watching the game or what?

S

smartorl

What a flipping shame. Can you imagine being the kid in the shower? Caught, probably embarrassed and scared at being caught yet he had to be thinking that it would be over and the pedophyle would be jailed only to have nothing happen? How could he ever feel safe or ok again?
Every single one of them needs to be behind bars for doing nothing to protect the children. Seriously, how in the hell could they ever even live with themselves after they knew if they weren't indeed guilty of something equally or worse disturbing.
I also think a lot more will come out.
Those poor, poor little boys.

mantisman51

I think the 28 y/o graduate assistant who walked in on him buggering that little boy and walked away to tell his own father what he saw needs horsewhipped. If I saw that, I would most likely be in prison for sending that POS to***on the spot. These grown men who were more worried about the reputation of the school than these defenseless children need to be in prison a long, long time.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///t/388973/happy-valley-not-so-happy#post_3434150
I think the 28 y/o graduate assistant who walked in on him buggering that little boy and walked away to tell his own father what he saw needs horsewhipped. If I saw that, I would most likely be in prison for sending that POS to** on the spot. These grown men who were more worried about the reputation of the school than these defenseless children need to be in prison a long, long time.
I agree....HOW THE ***....do you walk away from that

beth

Administrator
Staff member
PA Office of Inspector General should be investigating the goings-on of the school, and, particularly, the football program.
And students who were involved in misdeeds or disorderly conduct should be suspended and their financial aide package revoked. Oh, and maybe take a course in Ethics 101 before trying to go to school again.
Those football players should just refuse to play Sat as a statement of sorry for the children abused in their locker rooms. I wouldn't step foot in those showers ever again if I were any of those young men.

reefraff

The coach who saw the incident wont be on the sideline on Saturday, Death threats.
I don't think it's fair to the players to not allow them to play. If they have coaches who weren't involved to run things I say carry on.

mantisman51

I am not a Penn St or JoPa fan, but he is the one guy that I think was the least culpable. I worked for a large corporation as a supervisor for several years. We were trained if we saw anything illegal on company property, even violence, we were NOT to take any action. If we were told of any illegal activity(like the assistant did when he called JoPa), it was to be reported to our HR or program manager. Now as I said, I would have probably murdered the guy if I caught him in the act, but it seems to me that JoPa had no idea whether the act committed really happened or not and acted according to the way most corporations and organizations want it handled. The upper management who hid it and the people who actually witnessed it should all be fired and prosecuted. JoPa really, I think, handled what was no more than a rumor for all he knew, as best he could.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///t/388973/happy-valley-not-so-happy#post_3434233
I am not a Penn St or JoPa fan, but he is the one guy that I think was the least culpable. I worked for a large corporation as a supervisor for several years. We were trained if we saw anything illegal on company property, even violence, we were NOT to take any action. If we were told of any illegal activity(like the assistant did when he called JoPa), it was to be reported to our HR or program manager. Now as I said, I would have probably murdered the guy if I caught him in the act, but it seems to me that JoPa had no idea whether the act committed really happened or not and acted according to the way most corporations and organizations want it handled. The upper management who hid it and the people who actually witnessed it should all be fired and prosecuted. JoPa really, I think, handled what was no more than a rumor for all he knew, as best he could.
Where Paterno screwed up was never following up. He might not be legally culpable but absolutely violated the trust parents place in him when they decide to send their kids to play for him. The deviant continued to be on campus. How do you allow that if there is a chance he's a molester?