Happy Valley Not So Happy

beth

Administrator
Staff member
States have a requirement that certain people are required to report child abuse. School employees, especially state schools, would be in that group. Someone in his position should have known the requirement. He was a state employee and a mandatory reporter. What amazes me is the attitude of the police officers, allegedly, who investigated one complaint by a mother of one of the victims. I believe the SA was also involved but did nothing. Heads need to roll all over the place.
How does an ethical person sleep at night without doing everything you can do?
http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/state/index.cfm?event=stateStatutes.processSearch

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/388973/happy-valley-not-so-happy/20#post_3434241
States have a requirement that certain people are required to report child abuse. School employees, especially state schools, would be in that group. Someone in his position should have known the requirement. He was a state employee and a mandatory reporter. What amazes me is the attitude of the police officers, allegedly, who investigated one complaint by a mother of one of the victims. I believe the SA was also involved but did nothing. Heads need to roll all over the place.
How does an ethical person sleep at night without doing everything you can do?
http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/state/index.cfm?event=stateStatutes.processSearch
Not sure. Paterno didn't actually see the event and did report it to the administration. The lawyers I've heard talk about it say Paterno did what he was legally required to. If Paterno knew for a fact the incident wasn't reported to the police he could be nailed for conspiracy, again according to lawyers. I have a feeling the reason he didn't follow up was to prevent being caught in just that situation. I mean if the cops had been called in they would have questioned Paterno so he had to at least suspect a coverup.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The law I linked above is pretty clear, no matter what lawyers are saying to the media. There will be a good deal of investigation going on into everyone involved, including the actions or inactions of law enforcement and the SAO at the time of one of the parent's complaints.
I'm positive a lot of "politics" went into decision to be passive about the allegations. However, that is not the case anymore hopefully.
Not making a report when you are required to do so may not rise to the level of criminal charges, unless conspiracy is involved, but the coach got exactly what he deserved---disgraced and fired. It is amazing that he did not have the knowwithall to simply "retire" immediately when this all broke. That he wanted to finish out the season tells me that he really does not understand the gravity of his part in this. It will be interesting to see if his state pension is effected at all.
McQueary should be let go as well, unless he was actually a student at the time. Even so, I think I would choose to let him go.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/388973/happy-valley-not-so-happy/20#post_3434255
The law I linked above is pretty clear, no matter what lawyers are saying to the media. There will be a good deal of investigation going on into everyone involved, including the actions or inactions of law enforcement and the SAO at the time of one of the parent's complaints.
I'm positive a lot of "politics" went into decision to be passive about the allegations. However, that is not the case anymore hopefully.
Not making a report when you are required to do so may not rise to the level of criminal charges, unless conspiracy is involved, but the coach got exactly what he deserved---disgraced and fired. It is amazing that he did not have the knowwithall to simply "retire" immediately when this all broke. That he wanted to finish out the season tells me that he really does not understand the gravity of his part in this. It will be interesting to see if his state pension is effected at all.
McQueary should be let go as well, unless he was actually a student at the time. Even so, I think I would choose to let him go.
According to the attorney general Paterno fulfilled his legal duty because he "reported" to his superiors.
What is really sad is the two higher ups might not be convicted either because in 2002 they didn't have a duty to report the crime unless the child made the accusation to them directly. That law was changed in 05 so it's hard to say whether or not they can be held to the higher standard.
McQueary was just a student at the time. It turns out he was called in to talk with the administrators about this. It takes some of the stench off of him but I'd still let him go. He should have stopped what was going on when he saw it.

gemmy

McQueary is not going to be at Saturday's game and is under surveillance by armed guards.
Another thing that is completely tragic is that in some cases the statute of limitations has run up. Charges will not be filed for each instance.
I definitely believe that now is a time for people to examine their code of ethics. It is important to understand that no matter what legacy that is being built, the actions of some can cause it to crumble.

morgan175

After these events i personally would not have had this person on my staff. Wondering why jopa or whatever kept him their? If it was my son I would be playing Rambo up in their.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
According to CNN, McQueary has been placed on indefinite leave. If he doesn't leave on his own, I can't see him not getting fired as well. What he did was totally unbelievable. A grown man watch a child rape, and walks away? I'm not a man, but that perv would have come away missing his third leg if I had walked in on that.
How can he look those young football players in the eye?

al mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/388973/happy-valley-not-so-happy/20#post_3434344
According to CNN, McQueary has been placed on indefinite leave. If he doesn't leave on his own, I can't see him not getting fired as well. What he did was totally unbelievable. A grown man watch a child rape, and walks away? I'm not a man, but that perv would have come away missing his third leg if I had walked in on that.
How can he look those young football players in the eye?
To make matters worse, McQueary is in charge of recuiting. Can you imagine him sitting in your living room trying to recuit your son and telling you, 'i will make sure that your son is well taken care of' during his stay on campus?
This is 24/7 news in the greater Philly area where I live. This is going to have lots of levels.
1. The original assistant DA in charge of the original investigation in 1998 went missing and just last year was legally pronounced dead though his body has never been found. His laptop was found on a river bank with the hard drive removed. His office computer hard drive had been erased.
2. JoePa and Sandursky worked together for years and had a rapid falling out about the time of the first investigation. Sandursky 'retired' (JoePa never attended the retirement dinner). sandursky was allowed to keep an office on campus but could not bring any of the Second Chance children on campus. (What did they all know 13 years ago??)
3. McQueary and Sandursky's sons went to high school together and were friends.
4. McQueary and his father went in to JoePa a day after he witnessed the shower incident....and not one of them followed up when the administration refused to report the incident.
5. The current grand jury was established only after one of the alleged victims, as a high school football player, remebered Sandursky and his perversions when he came to help out at a football camp he attended. he went home and told his mother who alerted authorities (this time the police).
6. I do hold JoePa very responsible for allowing this to continue. There may be people at Penn State with loftier titles but the most powerful person in happy valley is JoePA. He dropped the ball. The motto of his football program is 'Success with honor'. Pretty hollow words now.
7. I am sure there were members of the football coaching staff and administration that did not know anything about Sandursky and his activities. However, I am sure there were many who turned a blind eye to what many knew was going on. I think they all have to go to bring integrity back to Penn State.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Mc http:///t/388973/happy-valley-not-so-happy/20#post_3434661
McQueary and Sandursky's sons went to high school together and were friends.
That may explain why he turned away and left a boy with a predator. Who knows if he experienced something himself or knew of something experienced by his friend.
Sandursky had several adopted children. They likely did not go unscathed during childhood either.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Mc http:///t/388973/happy-valley-not-so-happy/20#post_3434661
McQueary and Sandursky's sons went to high school together and were friends.
That may explain why he turned away and left a boy with a predator. Who knows if he experienced something himself or knew of something experienced by his friend.
Sandursky had several adopted children. They likely did not go unscathed during childhood either.

stdreb27

Horse crap, nothing explains not stopping the alleged action while it was occurring. Assuming this guy isn't in a wheel chair. What kind of a person walks away from a kid getting raped? I just don't get it.
I don't know who knows what, but if I'm paterno, and some dad calls me and says hey my son saw so and so doing the ___ to some 10 year old. I don't know if I'd believe him. Because, I can't even comprehend walking away from the alleged incident. From what I've read it seems like EVERYONE knew what was going on?!? This is just disgusting...

mantisman51

It looks like the good ol' boy system is still alive and well there. The judge who released him on $100k, unsecured bond and no electronic surveillance was a friend of his and even volunteered for his charity that he fished for victims through. That judge should have recused herself. That is a conflict of interest if there ever has been a conflict of interest. From the way the governor and AG of Pa are talking, I would expect the state to come in a claim jurisdiction in the case. Local police and courts have proven, at every opportunity, to be incapable of handling this unbiased.

stdreb27

The other thing, this guy walked away from what he called a raping. And didn't call the cops? He calls someone inside the organization, sounds to me like he's covering for Sandusky too...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Aside from all the people who didn't call the police, it baffles my mind that when the police were called by the mom whose son was being fondled in the shower, that the SAO decides to drop it.
I don't know what is up with McQueary, unless he had some personal experience himself and froze, couldn't deal, whatever. Regardless, he needs to be let go at Penn.
All I can say, is keep your kids close. I worked in child protective services for 10 years so I've had a good deal of first hand experience. Its hard to believe that the upstanding guy who is being so super with your kid has sinister motives. Whether he does or doesn't have motives doesn't matter. Parents need to err on the side of protecting or over-protecting their kids.

S

smartorl

McQueary knew it was wrong enough to call his father. He wasn't a child, he was 28. He should be roasted. Especially when the sounds of bodies smacking together is what attracted him to the area out of curiosity.
Did anyone hear the Sandusky interview? He should have kept his mouth shut because he sounds even guiltier with his responses. His attorney has also been charged with a sex crime in the past.
This whole thing is just disgusting from start to finish.
Sandusky is a monster.

bigarn

He admitted to showering and horsing around with kids in the shower. He claims "it was only leg touching and towel slapping" which is something all jocks do, but in hindsight showering with them was a mistake. His attorney called him "a big kid at heart" .. This keeps getting sicker and sicker!!
big (kill him) arn

travelerjp98

Another thing that ticks me off is that this:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Coach-under-fire-for-racist-8220-future-welfar?urn=highschool-wp8603
is "news" after McQueary's sick acts.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarn http:///t/388973/happy-valley-not-so-happy/20#post_3435255
He admitted to showering and horsing around with kids in the shower. He claims "it was only leg touching and towel slapping" which is something all jocks do, but in hindsight showering with them was a mistake. His attorney called him "a big kid at heart" .. This keeps getting sicker and sicker!!
big (kill him) arn
OMG...I wish I had watched this last night......he really just dug his own grave IMO
a big kid.....LOL....Isn't that what they called Michael Jackson