Hard and Soft?

footbag

Anyone know much about the biological warfare between hard and soft corals in the same tank? I read somewhere that after about a year together they begin to battle. I have noticed a little bit of zoanthid and GSP recession that I cannot attribute to anything. I have a few acros, a couple monti caps and digis.
This is definately a shot in the dark, so bear with me.

spmnarciso

Hi Kip...so does that mean that if you have a softies tank and want to add Acros, they're doomed? Is there a way to avoid it other than not having leathers?

footbag

I also just read that colt corals can cause it. I do have two huge colt corals that takes up most of my tank. Gotta get rid of one. If it isn't responsible for my zoanthids, it may be stunting my acro's growth.

S

sebae0

not to hijack this thread but my finger leather has been doing terribly since i removedd my carbon. its the only leather in with 4 euphyllia species, do you think they are winning the battle over the leather?

spmnarciso

Originally posted by sebae0
not to hijack this thread but my finger leather has been doing terribly since i removedd my carbon. its the only leather in with 4 euphyllia species, do you think they are winning the battle over the leather?

The same thing just happened to me...removed carbon and a couple of softies became weary. I think my large colt is the culprit. But I could be wrong!

wrassie86

I have kept a mixed tank since the day i started in this hobby 6 years ago.the tank was leathers,softies.lps.zoo's.No acro's though.i bought 1 acro a few years ago,it was great for awile and died(never knew why)i suppose it could have been from leathers.
I just went through "old tank syndrome" and repaired it, But during this the leathers were the first to go.and i lost most of them.
So now the tank will be 1 leather(finger) and lps maybe sps down the road but lps mainley
But as far as a mixed tank tank i never really had a problem.