Hard white spots

kfish

:notsure: Hi I am not sure of what i am doing .not even good with this computer.But have to learn some how. I have little white hard spots about pin head size on my glass and rock looks like build up calcium. It is getting bad.could this be what it is? and what can I do about it ?

boogaman

It doesnt sound like calcium build ups, I have these also in tanks they are small feather duster things, look at them closely and you wiil see what im talking about

fishieness

my guess would be dead coraline algae (usualy purple or green). you can scrape it off with a razor blade. it could have died from a temp drop or improper Ca, ALK, or Mg levels which can also play into your coral gorwth and pH
i see you are new here, any pics of the tank? :)
and welcome

fishieness

Originally Posted by BOOGAMAN
It doesnt sound like calcium build ups, I have these also in tanks they are small feather duster things, look at them closely and you wiil see what im talking about

woops! you were typing while i was! haha
yes, it also could ahve been a number of calcerous tube worms. are the spots raised or flat against the glass?

candycane

Little white circles, some of them look almost like pinwheels? I would guess that they are there from excess calcium. If you don't have excess calcium, then your tank parameters are probably near perfect.

jimreemts

I have these also. I have been told they are in the catagory of Copapods (but are hard like a barnicle) They are benifical to your tank and are food for other animals. You should scrape them off the front and sides, or they will obstruct your view, but let them grow on the back of the tank. If you look really really close (use a magnifine glass you can see little arms growing from the sides)

kfish

They do look like little pinwheels.so what you are saying my tank is almost good to go Its been up for about 4 months.Its a little more to a reef tank then a fish only tank.so much for me to learn

candycane

I am saying that it is either that or excessive calcium. Saying to good after 4 months is not likely. I am saying excess calcium. They are tube worms. Most of them have a VERY small feather duster like head coming out of them. You can just scrape them off if you want.

larryndana

I have these as well, they look like tiny feather dusters. So is it from excessive calcium or just a feather duster hitchhiker?