Hardware store Silicone or Aquarium Sealant?

benj420

Is it safe to use hardware store silicone in an aquarium? I know that "aquarium sealant" is 100% silicone, but am not sure about the hardware store stuff. Same thing?

hairtrigger

Hey benj, I have heard to never stray from aquarium silicone. In fact, many silicones I have seen say "Not for aquarium use." However, the hardware store near me sells aquarium silicone alongside the others. It is way cheaper than LFS silicone. It is labeled pretty obviously "aquarium sealant or silicone." Something like that
I think home depot and Lowes sell it too.
I have used regular silcone on other water applications, When it dries it smells odd. Also, it might never fully dry. It's weird. You know the saying, betta safe than sorry.
PS... hey dude is that the grafix symbol on your avatar. I couldnt help making the connection between the skull and 420. Call me crazy though. Sorry if not. :D

benj420

Originally posted by HairTrigger
Hey benj, I have heard to never stray from aquarium silicone. In fact, many silicones I have seen say "Not for aquarium use." However, the hardware store near me sells aquarium silicone alongside the others. It is way cheaper than LFS silicone. It is labeled pretty obviously "aquarium sealant or silicone." Something like that

Thanks, I'll check those places out.

PS... hey dude is that the grafix symbol on your avatar. I couldnt help making the connection between the skull and 420. Call me crazy though. Sorry if not. :D

Wow, it's like you're Uri Gellar or something.... LOL

osolow

I'm working on a 125 reef and I need to seal up some cuts in my refugium. I used the GE I bought from Home depo ( payed $6.00 for 10.3 tube) and the next day I read alot abought it could be bad for the fish so I pulled out the GE and bought the all-glass (10.3 tube) for $7.72 with shipping to my door (took 3 days). With my luck I would get my tank done and it all would die or get sick just becouse of the GE silicon. I'm not going to push my luck and try to save the few bucks. I'm buying what I know is right for my Reef. Would you risk life with your kids? No! Then why risk it with your reef.
but thats my 2 cents abought it.
be safe keep your Reef alive.
Don't do this to your tank.
Osolow

hairtrigger

Yo, one more thing.... Yeah, the LFS I just called (needed to see if they had some stuff in stock) says aquarium silicone is "virgin silicone" whatever that means.
The other stuff can poison your fish. And in SW it might not cure correctly after drying, even after waiting.
Go with the aquarium stuff. Not worth the risk for a couple bucks. Plus, you don't have to get it at an LFS. Sweeet. :D

benj420

Who is Uri Gellar?

Uri Gellar was a guy that calimed to have psychic powers and the ability to bend spoons with his mind. He came on Johnny Carson and was supposed to bend the spoons with his mind, but Johnny switched the spoons to make sure the guy wasn't a fake and he couldn't do it. He started sweating profusely and said that his powers weren't working that day.

hairtrigger

Hahahaha, that's awesome Benj. I am no psychic, but I know reef keepers, 420, and Graffix so I just used a little intuition after that. :D
Clouded minds think alike. I spent about an hour staring at one side of my reef yesterday. My girl was on the other side staring too. :D
Hope you found yer silicone.
James, where are you in Greensboro? I went to school at Elon. I go visit friends in the boro all the time. UNCG and other folks. I know a bunch of LFS' there. Some are horrible though. Watch out with that trade offer too man. Not every reef keeper supports the same extra curricular activities. Some have prying eyes and might not approve of such an offer. On that note, some folks on here go to work each day with a badge, gun, and matching silver bracelets. They might not like such trades. Reef keeping knows no occupational limits. Just a thought for your, and others safety. :cool:

hairtrigger

James, I know what you mean man. I feel ya. ;)
Aquamains is cool, but they dont know squat about reefs. They can talk the talk, but the really don't follow through. They cost me THOUSANDS starting out. I have much animosity towards them.
Check out Marine Ecosystems by UNCG. It was on S. Mendenhall, but has moved. It is near wahoo's tavern I think now. Rich owns the place. He is super cool and will hook you up. His advice is top notch.
He also knows how to get nice frags.
So do folks around UNCG, at College Road Tavern, etc. Cool folks there. ;)