Hardy long lived anenamoes??

flamingkingofhe

no such thing as a hardy anem. but the one that seems the easiest for me to take care of are the pink tipped florida condys if you are new to anem. than your best bet might be tank raised

dfishh

condy or hatian anemones are probably the hardiest of anemones, but no anemones are really hardy. also, jon-paul if your sebae is under the 40 watts of NO lighting, i would plan for a lighting upgrade soon if i were you
DAVE

mistylab

I had good sucess raising a condi but beware, they are very aggressive and most of the time they will not let a clownfish or any other hosting fish near them unless they are hungry for them;)

T

thomas712

Originally posted by Jon-Paul
I got a sebae and hes doin good. As long as you feed them and give them some light they do good. But if you put them under lots of light well they can pretty much take over your tank. :D

In my opinion and experience you should not even have an anemone. I too would like to know how long you have had one. Some light? they do good?....Some light?... 40 watts is unfair to give a photosynthetic creature like a sebea anemone. Also would like to know what you mean by lots of light and they can pretty much take over the tank?
Is this your first anemone? take it back, give it a chance.
I would also like to know what your nitrates are with that crushed coral in the system. You running an Undergravel as well?
I know I'm showing my teeth here, but I've seen this too many times. kid gets anemone, throws it in tank, kills anemone. Contrary to popular advice just feeding it won't mean survival. It needs light and 40 watts just doesn't cut it IMO.
Sorry kid but that post of your just burns my butt.:mad:
Thomas

jumpfrog

When just starting I added a small rock anemone to my tank. Two years later is grown 4-6 times in size and appears very healthy. Eats 3 times a week and is under 220 watts of pc.
Can't recommend any anemone as I think in general it's a mistake. But, thought I'd share my experience.
Here's the rock:

bang guy

Let's try to stay on topic people.... hunterdaddy was the person asking a legitimate question....

E

elan

i have an aptasia anemone... grows great!... even grows in the shaded areas of my tank... you can have all of mine if you can get em out!...lol

leigh

Originally posted by flamingkingofhe
no such thing as a hardy anem.

i'd say anemone's are quite hardy--that whole living thousands of years in the wild thing--where they belong :eek: seriously...best decision i've made so far was returning my anemone while it was still healthy and happy

josh

The hardiest, that's an easy one. The mushroom anemone. Probably not want you wanted to hear, but it the truth.
Please don't get the anemone you were thinking about.

foulbrew

I'm with Elan - Aiptasia is the correct answer to the question, but I don't recommend putting one in your tank.
Jon-Paul, with all due respect, it's quite posible you should wait a few years befor giving advice.
Thomas, I couldn't agree more, stupid is stupid no matter how you slice it. Putting an anenome in your tank is a huge risk and not for just the anenome. Most anemones when they go south (not if, when:( ), do so quickly. You can lose a whole tank if one disintegrates on you. They a much better left to experience, committed (insane?) folks. That's not to say some folks haven't had success, they have. Most have failed miserably.
hunterdaddy, I recommend not putting one of these in your tank. If you must, then the bubble tips seem to go south the slowest.
As far as hosting a clown... well which clown do you have in mind, each prefers certain hosts?

wrassecal

I'd also say that if you just have to have an anenome that a bubbletip is probably one that you might be able to find that has been tank propogated. Props to you for asking before you add one to your tank as my best advise is don't get one at all. Try something like furry mushrooms first and see if after a few months the clown will host in them. HTH

hunterdaddy

Thanks guys for all the advice. I decided not to get one after all. My gold banded maroon hosts in my tonga mushrooms and seems real happy so I figured now that I know a little more about them it really isn't worth the death and possible tank failure due to it. Maybe someday but not anytime soon.

bang guy

The theory I heard was measuring the corals around them with known growth rates. Some of the older Anemone sit in a well where the coral have grown around them over the centuries.

broncofish

Originally posted by Bang Guy
The theory I heard was measuring the corals around them with known growth rates. Some of the older Anemone sit in a well where the coral have grown around them over the centuries.

I have read that theory and am not very fond of it becuase well, anemones move, even in the wild, and besides reproduction asexually, they all can reproduce sexually, so odds are just as well that they spawned there, or moved to those spots. The thruth is we don't know how long they live in the wild, a lot of people say indefinate, because of they do split that it is just a splinter of itself and the life is everlasting for the anemone, here is a little clip I saved from a while back. I am of the belief thousands of years is likely, but yet to be proven.
LIFE SPANS OF SEA ANEMONES
Sea Anemones have not been kept in aquaria long enough to establish with any certainty how long sea anemones naturally live, if not predated upon or dying from causes other than old age. However, there are records of large tropical display anemones living for several decades in Public Aquaria, housing several generations of commensal Clownfish, Amphiprion ocellaris. AH
John Ottaway and Ken Sebens have made actuarial tables for anemones.Since they came up with potential lifespans on the order of several centuries, personal experience is unlikely to be a good guide. (Daphne Fautin).
Daphne G. Fautin
Professor, Biological Sciences
Curator, Natural History Museum and Biodiversity Research Center
Haworth Hall
University of Kansas

bang guy

As I stated in a previous post there is an Anemone at Oxford University that has been kept in captivity for over 200 years.