Harlequin Filefish!

ryandefones

So who has had the best luck with one of these little guys?
I am super interested in getting one and I know they are alot of work, but does anyone have any advice?

S

saxman

We've actually weaned a pair "from scratch" and have had them a couple of years now IIRC. It's NOT easy...in fact, if you wean them yourself, it will likely be one of the hardest things you do as an aquarist.
If you do a search for "orange-spotted filefish OSFF", you'll get 5 hits on previous threads. I'd also check out the back issues of Coral Magazine for Matt Pederson's article on them. Give those a read and hit us back with specifics.

btldreef

+1
I have one, I don't like to talk about it openly anymore because it is still one of those fish that many hobbyists believe should not be kept in the home aquarium and those of us that do keep them often get flamed for it.
Matt Pederson has some great articles/hints on these guys, but and this is not to take away from his work at all, I personally think he can be a little obnoxious, especially if you start to have trouble with one.
I've had luck weaning one, and one was partially weaned when I got it. If you can find one that is already weaned (which is darn near impossible in most cases), definitely go that route. I try not to buy a specimen that hasn't been in a store for that long, if it's fresh into the hobby, it will definitely need to be weaned. The ones that haven't been in the hobby for long are usually the specimens that look the best though.
My best suggestion/advice is that you have to have A TON of patience with these guys and you must be able to observe them, and observe them often. They don't like anything less than near perfect parameters either. I was literally doing 1-2 cup water changes daily, if not twice a day when my female was in my 14G.
If you do not have a Coral Magazine subscription, message me, but you really should get one!

ryandefones

I have nearly skimmed throught every link on google, and researched all that I could find available online about them. They're very unique I may say, but I was somewhat shocked when I went into my local fish store and asked if they had ever heard of/seen one before. I felt dumb as the shop owner looked me blank in the face; but he said he would have no problem ordering me one....
I have decided I am going to get this fish and may try a little experimentation as too what might be compatible along side it as well. It's just been a pain trying to find out if I could even have basic CUC's in my tank or certain corals with an OSFF. The fish is still so new to the hobby and if I get it I will be sure to post 2-3 times a week once I recieve my new pet:).....
But as far as feeding habbits go, I have planned to get 2 slimmer SPS in my nano (along side other corals) and have read that they will not pick slimmers dry. I also wanted to supply it with Browned out SPS once a week after I get it weaned to new food so that I do not seem cruel or unusual.....
As for water changes, my tank is still in stages in cycling and I am making sure all is well and am now doing all that I can to prepare and replicate an enviroment suitable for my upcoming harlequin.
As for names, I like Orange Peel :)
Thanks for any advice

btldreef

I've kept mine with blennies, a baby mandarin, an Ocellaris clownfish and a Yasha goby. They need peaceful fish that they won't have to compete with for food, but while weaning, try to keep it alone.
None of mine ever nipped at any coral or invert other than SPS. I kept my female in a full nano reef and she did not touch a thing.

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryandefones http:///forum/thread/384654/harlequin-filefish#post_3370731I have decided I am going to get this fish and may try a little experimentation as too what might be compatible along side it as well. It's just been a pain trying to find out if I could even have basic CUC's in my tank or certain corals with an OSFF. The fish is still so new to the hobby and if I get it I will be sure to post 2-3 times a week once I recieve my new pet:)...
As for names, I like Orange Peel :)
This fish has been around the hobby for a few decades now, however, folks finally got smart and realized that at the time, nobody could keep them successfully, so they thankfully faded out for awhile. However, as we begin to understand more about the hobby, the fish, and nutrition, we're seeing something similar to what happened with keeping SH: folks are getting them to live and a few are even having some success breeding them.
As for names...if you feel the uncontrollable urge to do so, get the fish to live first, THEN name it. There's an old tabu that sez "never name a fish you want to keep around awhile", and these fish need all the help they can get without jinxing them. JMHO.

ryandefones

well thanks again for checking up, and it's been helpful talking; I am now subscribing to CORAL mag, for any additional articles on these little guys. But I plan to keep him in a secluded tank and then will add a neon goby eventually so I highly doubt it'll add any stress in the mix. I will be sure to message you guys to check my next post when it comes near time for me to buy the Harlequin. I'll be sure to update soon as well about what will be the general layout of my tank and what I will be housing...
until then, thanks

L

leeshalee

uhh i recently bought one amd i was wondering if they are suposed to swim all awkwardly xD haha
he swims with his tail up and the little thingggy on the top of his head is like always up ....i dont think thats too "normal"

S

saxman

Filefish, like triggers, often swim rather oddly. As long as the fish seems to be able to hold its place in the water column and isn't "leaning", sinking, or floating it's most likely fine, esp. if there is no visible pathology. BTW, the "little thingggy on the top of his head" is the fish's dorsal spine, which like the triggerfish, can be raised and locked into position when the fish is in a crevice, making it pretty impossible for a predator to pull the fish out.
This spring, we'll have had our OSFF for 4 years, and they're doing fine. Currently a single Pseudanthias flavoguttatus and a regular snail-based CUC, incl. a peppermint shrimp or two are the tankmates.

btldreef

Just wanted to add that if they're swimming out in the open with their dorsal spine up the entire time, it's often a sign of stress.
Has this new fish you bought ate for you?

S

saxman

Good Point, TommieLynn. If the fish is new, it may not be comfy...they'll also do this if they're spooked, but sometimes, they just extend their fins every so often.
Is the fish eating? If so, what?
Is this fish with any tankmates? If so what?

L

leeshalee

yeah he eats brine shrimp and a marine mixture i also have a pep shrimp and yeah just bought a pearl scale butterfly(who isnt eating
) just got him after my cowfish died /;