Harlequin on the floor

srfisher17

Last night, I heard a weird noise and found my 10" harlequin tusk on the floor; I was sloppy with the back piece of eggcrate and he always porpoises around the top of the tank when there is dim light. The odds of my hearing this must have been 1000 to 1. I had enough sense to handle him with a wet cloth and get him back in, he seems fine today. Question#1; is this a time to try Stress Coat, or one of the other products that are supposed to help a fish's slime coat? (I guess if this wasn't the time, when would be?) I've got some but I've never used it. I seem to remember that stuff like this can over-activate your skimmer, but the bottle and web site don't mention it.
Question#2 He has some damage to his pectoral fins; seems minor, like a big fish confined in a small space for too long.. Do you think I should use a "preventative" medicine? Or just watch closely? He's eating well and I think his immune system should handle it. Its been a long time since I had to treat any infection from a wound, and this doesn't look too serious; but I need some advice. Any suggestions? I'd better act soon, or leave him alone--he seems fine, but I know slime coat damage and other damage doesn't always show up right away. He was flopping on the floor for a while. (The hardwood is fine!) THANKS!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Don't use the slime coat. Offer him food 3x a day with meaty food soaked in fresh garlic with one meal (follow the instructions in the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum). Get zoecon and use it with one meal.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Beth
Don't use the slime coat. Offer him food 3x a day with meaty food soaked in fresh garlic with one meal (follow the instructions in the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum). Get zoecon and use it with one meal.
Thanks, Beth. I always thought garlic was just a good additive to increase appetite thus improve immune system. This thread contains great info! I use Zoecon and Selcon regularly; I think they have a lot to do with long term health & color.