harlequin starfish!!

A

alexmir

I bought this guy offline 4 days ago, and i think he is just gorgeous!! He is about 4 inches across. I never bought a brittle star because i didnt like the way they looked, but this guy is very pretty!

A

alexmir

sorry, your right, he is a serpent. I got so excited to post i wasnt thinking.
he is white and black striped, and has a black and white swirl design on his mouth area. Its kind of creepy seeing these guys move so fast when they smell food. i took those at night, so he does look kind of green.

ophiura

There is NO biological distinction whatsoever between "brittlestar" and "serpentstar." None, zip, zero, nada

It is possibly Ophioderma appressum, but hard to know for sure from the photo (could be something else for sure...some ideas but nothing firm). If it is the above then actually will not get all that large and is perhaps one of the best choices for our tanks. Note that many many many of the pictures on the web of this species are misidentifications.

A

alexmir

glad to hear that i made a good choice. And i am glad that he probably wont get much bigger. I have seen greet brittle stars that are HUGE and scary looking. I would worry it would kill a fish with no problem.