Harlequin Tusk! Let me see them!

nietzsche

hey guys, i wanted to check out the harlequin tusk. it looks like the one they sell on this website is from the indian ocean. i saw the other one which is the australian and it has more blue on it
what do you guys feed it? how does it behave towards new comers?

nietzsche

my lfs has the indian ocean kind and theyre not that bright in color though. theyre very shy. im thinking of adding a harlequin and a heniochus and have small 3-5" inch fish, but not too many. never had a fowlr before but the selection in fish is better than if i had a reef.

bruner54

yea the australian is definitly better looking costs a lil more to ask them and see if they will order it for you

nietzsche

i had asked but he had no clue. he said he did have the australian but i dont think it is. it cost 87, but its a large one. probably 7-8", might go ahead and pick it up

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by nietzsche
http:///forum/post/2650823
i had asked but he had no clue. he said he did have the australian but i dont think it is. it cost 87, but its a large one. probably 7-8", might go ahead and pick it up
Wow, good deal. Around here you can't pick any tusks up for less than 100 (usually around 150) and they are not that big.

aquaknight

Here are my two. First is a 5.5" Indo. Lost him to an Ich outbreak (always QT)

Here was my second attempt, a 4" Indo, never really made it out of QT. Came down with lymphocystis and slowly got worse.

aquaknight

If you are paying less then $100 for a Tusk, especially on the retail level (LFS), he is 99.9% a Indo Tusk.
The differences are in orange, Australian's orange colors are 'clearer.' There's not so much black marks in there. Also more of the rear strips have more black then white compared to an Indo of equal size, and finally, the front of the Tusk is more red-ish orange then an Indo (straight orange).
Bonus pic, here is my Mom's baby Tusk. Not even 2" when acquired. Unfortunately, she decided to go tile surfing...

nietzsche

i knew it was an indo. i think live aquaria has the two different tusks next to them and the australian is darker in orange and has more blue, the tail is also different; the australian seems to have red on it while the indo's is clear. still a great looking fish though.
even then, at LA theyre selling a large harlequin tusk for 99 dollars which ranges from 4-8"

95harley

Here is my Indo Tusk (about 5") that Miniatus Grouper killed while I was on vacation.
And second picture is my Austrailian Tusk doing great in my 240. Probably about 6-7" now maybe even 8".

nietzsche

that australian one is beautiful. the first pic what they have at the lfs
btw, i read at wet web media that:
"Although this fish is pricey, such an investment is well-warranted in a long-lived, disease-resistant, easy-to-feed key species for your fish-only marine tank. This is almost guaranteed should you secure a healthy specimen."
so its disease resistant?

maelv

Not sure if you are in SA, but try shooting Ace (Hobogato) a message...he has an awesome tusk....not quite sure which one it is, but it could be an australian....it has to be anywhere from 6" - 8".....will devour your snails and crabs though....

95harley

http:///forum/post/2651090
"Although this fish is pricey, such an investment is well-warranted in a long-lived, disease-resistant, easy-to-feed key species for your fish-only marine tank. This is almost guaranteed should you secure a healthy specimen."
Thanks to a green bird wrasse mine did catch ich once, but was quickly cured while the bird wrasse died. Mine is now as solid as a rock. Very great fish.

aquaknight

http:///forum/post/2651090
No, I would beg to disagree that Tusks are disease resistant. My Tusk was the second fish affected when my 125 broke out in Ich (behind a pair of Double Monocle Breams that brought it in). Also, it's been my experience over the years, frequently visiting LFS's, one of the tell tale fish of how good/bad the water quality is, how the Tusks are doing. Poor quality, Tusks are inactive, usually laying down on a rock. If there's any diseases, Tusk usually are the first to display it.
However, they are 'truckers.' It actually takes considerable effort to kill a Tusk. My 4" had to put down, he kept fighting till the end, heavy lympho, tail/fin rot, and nasty infections.

hammerhed7

They are great fish, mine is very passive. I will try to get pics of mine up. I just got a new camera and I have to figure out how to resize the pictures. Anyone know what size they need to be offhand to post here?

nietzsche

Originally Posted by maelv
http:///forum/post/2651189
Not sure if you are in SA, but try shooting Ace (Hobogato) a message...he has an awesome tusk....not quite sure which one it is, but it could be an australian....it has to be anywhere from 6" - 8".....will devour your snails and crabs though....
hey maelv, im on MAAST as well under a different username. i didnt know they would eat snails and hermit crabs :| i added my tonga snails to the tank and a hermit crab
Originally Posted by 95Harley
http:///forum/post/2651211
Thanks to a green bird wrasse mine did catch ich once, but was quickly cured while the bird wrasse died. Mine is now as solid as a rock. Very great fish.
what i quoted from was from bob fenner, but i really dont know. i often think he can be wrong at times
Originally Posted by kjr_trig

http:///forum/post/2651231
Here is my Harley...He is just over 3 inchs now
thats a great looking fish, i like how theyre secretive and very calm
Originally Posted by AquaKnight

http:///forum/post/2651272
No, I would beg to disagree that Tusks are disease resistant. My Tusk was the second fish affected when my 125 broke out in Ich (behind a pair of Double Monocle Breams that brought it in). Also, it's been my experience over the years, frequently visiting LFS's, one of the tell tale fish of how good/bad the water quality is, how the Tusks are doing. Poor quality, Tusks are inactive, usually laying down on a rock. If there's any diseases, Tusk usually are the first to display it.
However, they are 'truckers.' It actually takes considerable effort to kill a Tusk. My 4" had to put down, he kept fighting till the end, heavy lympho, tail/fin rot, and nasty infections.

sorry to hear about that :
Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
http:///forum/post/2651545
They are great fish, mine is very passive. I will try to get pics of mine up. I just got a new camera and I have to figure out how to resize the pictures. Anyone know what size they need to be offhand to post here?
dont know how much it needs to be, but you can go to photobucket and upload some pics. you can also open the picture in paint and resize it there, then uploa to photobucket where itll give you a tag to post on the forum
well, the news is i bought a medium sized heniochus and a tusk. everything seems to be afraid of the heniochus for some reason. i feel that my tank is maxed out unless i add some small things like a 3" fairy wrasse or 2" flasher wrasse
this is what i have stocked:
-yellow coris, already full size
-flame angel, only about 4" or smaller
-Royal gramma from my previous tank already full grown
-2 tomato clownfish
and the new arrivals
yellow coris stays hidden all day until a specific time where it comes to eat, then itll hide until the next day. RG uses the higher level in the tank where it watches everyone, flame angel rushes in and out of caves throughout the whole tank, tusk likes to stay behind the rocks where its a bit darker but comes out to swim around, and the heniochus uses the midlevel and lower level of the tank and swims around the whole tank, clowns dont know what to do since i gave away their anemone to a friend
im supposed to be getting some prodibio biodigest so itll help to lower nitrates, and im also expecting some rowaphos phosphate to add to my reactor. still havent added my skimmer, needs to be cleaned out

hammerhed7

ok I think I need some help, I don't know why my pics showed up so small. I need to know how to upload the pic from photo bucket after I resize it. I try to tag the photo and when I enter it here it says invalid file.

nietzsche

i think you still attached the image to swf.com
what you do is upload your picture from your camera to the computer, or if you already have the file on your computer, open the file with paint, which on windows is on start>programs>accessories>
if you have paint open, you can go to file>open, and search for your file depending where you put it
once you select and open it, go to image>resize/skew; itll ask you how you want to resize it. you mess with the numbers that are 100%, 100% so lets say you have a really large file, maybe you want to put it at 30% 30% if its too small or still too big, you can go to edit>undo, and youll have the original file again
after youve done that, you can go to www.photobucket.com and upload the image you just resized, and use the IMG tag
forgot to add that it needs to be saved as jpeg format