Has a Boxfish(Cowfish) ever wiped out your tank

broncofish

I guess the point I was trying to make with this poll has been proven. Boxfish are not dangerouse just people who buy them with out researching. Responsible owners who know how to take care of them never have an issue with tank wipe out. I am guessing that most people who say their tank was wiped had one of two things happen. 1. Their tank had crappy water parameters and was tetering on the brink of destruction and the boxfish is a convienant excuse. 2. They had the boxfish in a tank that was to small, or too aggressive.

dattong

Thanks Kim, you've made me feel better now. I don't really wanna take a cute fish like him out. BTW, mine eats flake also. He's doing great for 3 weeks already (up to today) I've realized that the tricky part of keeping fish is getting them to eat. Once they eat, they most likely will be fine in a safe environment.

elitsoh

hello all...was just wondering if a 22 gal ..was big enough for a box fish ?...i have a bi color blennie, a 6 line, and a scooter blennie.....would it be to much with a box fish?

No problem,
I hope your MR BOX is health and happy.. Dont worry about it... Why have a fish if you are parenoid to the point you cant enjoy him! They are awesome and the chance of him hurting your system is like 1%....
Thats great he eats flaked food .. Try frozen mysis too.. mine gobbled it up.. What I do is make a mixture of Mysis shrimp, marine cuisine, veggie pellets, plankton and krill and put it in a bowl with zelcon, vibrance or zoe and let it sit for an hour or so then feed them the mixture. I also put the leftover mixture covered in the fridge overnight to feed them the next day.. Usually I dont let it sit more than 2 days because I dont want it to spoil.... but I think overnight is fine... ALSO, the mixture is nice and soaked with the vitamins....
ElitsoH, I think a 22 galon is kind of small for a full grown box.. but your choice of tankmates seems fine.. A 22 would be fine for now, but plan on moving him to a bigger tank as he grows. A small tank could b a reason to stress him out.. and you dont want that.. The boxfish,, be it a cowfish or spotted boxfish can grow very large, my friend had one that was over 5 inches and remember they are " A BOX" so not just long like a regular fish BUT FAT!
Hope this helps..
Thanking you kindly, Kim

broncofish

Originally posted by elitsoH
hello all...was just wondering if a 22 gal ..was big enough for a box fish ?...i have a bi color blennie, a 6 line, and a scooter blennie.....would it be to much with a box fish?

Tank mates are fine, but that tank is way to small. Yellow cubicus needs 90-100g, hovercraft boxfish need 55g, blue spott or hawaiin boxfish needs a 55g. If you want to buy a boxfish maybe now is a good time(ie awesome excuse) to buy a bigger tank.