Has it always been?

lexluethar

I used to come here all the time and see good discussions about everything. Today when I come on here all I see is Obama did this or that. It seems the majority of the topics are politically motivated or turn into politics.
The only thing that annoys me is I see people that are just coming to SWF to post political stuff instead of actually contributing to the SALT WATER forum. People whom haven't posted much elsewhere other than in the Aquarium section. Do these people even have aquariums?
Discuss.

meowzer

I don't see why it matters if they do or do not have an aquarium.....the aquarium is for OFF TOPIC posting is it not???
As far as politics...I stay out of that...LOL and I don't think I have been around here long enough to say whether or not I notice a difference.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2987925
I used to come here all the time and see good discussions about everything. Today when I come on here all I see is Obama did this or that. It seems the majority of the topics are politically motivated or turn into politics.
The only thing that annoys me is I see people that are just coming to SWF to post political stuff instead of actually contributing to the SALT WATER forum. People whom haven't posted much elsewhere other than in the Aquarium section. Do these people even have aquariums?
Discuss.
Just don't click on the politically motivated topics. If you see the words Obama/politics/taxes etc. in the title...don't click them. I don't understand why this bothers people...resist the click...keep your bloodpressure down
. There are 31 other categories related to fish...if the people were posting political stuff in the aggressive forum etc. I could maybe understand the frustration (still you don't have to click it), but the purpose of the aquarium is to talk about non related topics. This is my understanding anywho. "CFR" and "Year of the Nick" take care of the random threads. Do a search on their threads for discussions on everything.

lexluethar

No no no, it has nothing to do with me feeling offended. Sersiously I don't care, and to be honest a good amount of times people have great discussions. I consider myself in the middle for the most part and believe a lot of the 'fears' that people have are well deserved.
I just think it is annoying not because the discussions are one sided, but because that is ALL this forum has become. I scrolled down and about 6 out of 10 topics were politically motivated, and not 'discuss this' topics but just complaining in general. Again I realize that this forum is open and they are entitled to voicing how they feel, but the point, the MAIN point of SWF.com is to further the growth of this hobby and help out people. A lot of the people I see on this section don't do that, they sit here and talk politics without giving to the community this forum was created for.
Again I don't care, I just want to see if it is just me that has noticed a difference in the 'mood' of this area, or if it has truely changed.

geoj

The mods have done a very good job. At one time there were groups of people that would incite heated debates and throw gas on the fire just to sit back and watch what happens. I don’t see this kind of thing any more and I have to give credit to the mods for locking and deleting this type of post.
All types of off topic have been allowed for as long as I have been posting…

dragonzim

Its not just you. Its definitely become a political minefield here in the Aquarium. And yes, there are a LOT more political threads now than there were say a year ago.

reefraff

Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///forum/post/2988064
Its not just you. Its definitely become a political minefield here in the Aquarium. And yes, there are a LOT more political threads now than there were say a year ago.
I think maybe you should go back and look at the threads from a year ago, it was already hot and heavy with Ossiah and Hillarbeast duking it out in the primary. It slowed down right after the election and is picking back up now that the new administration is developing a record.

ruaround

there is just a bunch of politiheads here now...
republicans pointing out facts and logic and dems whinning about it and using circular arguments...
or threads about one of CK's 100 different pets...
its about time to use one of these and stick it in the aquarium...

meowzer

Aren'y you glad we still have the FREEDOM OF CHOICE...you know the freedom to click on what we want...or to NOT click on what we don't.....I don't even go into the political issue threads cause I choose not to..This was worded differently, and I am not arguing politics...just the right to post or not post what anyone wants to (as long as it's clean
)

ruaround

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2988160
Aren'y you glad we still have the FREEDOM OF CHOICE...you know the freedom to click on what we want...or to NOT click on what we don't.....I don't even go into the political issue threads cause I choose not to..This was worded differently, and I am not arguing politics...just the right to post or not post what anyone wants to (as long as it's clean
)
thats the problem... the politiheads cloud the water with all political threads so one cant see the forrest for the trees... i honestly thought this crap would stop after November... good lord was i wrong!!! its all the same freakin whinning and rhetoric!!! it was amusing at first seeing Nobama being bashed... but now its just freaking OLD NEWS!!! and the same 7 people argueing...

lexluethar

It has nothing to do with not clicking a thread, it has to do with every thread posted in this particular forum is politically motivated, or half that aren't turn into it.
I just wanted to get your guys and gals opinions and state IMHO that a lot of the same people that are starting these threads aren't contributing to the community with salt water topics or helping people, this area of the site has just turned into a place where people can whine and air out dirty laundry w/o having to contribute in a constructive way to SWF or SWF.com.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2988255
It has nothing to do with not clicking a thread, it has to do with every thread posted in this particular forum is politically motivated, or half that aren't turn into it.
I just wanted to get your guys and gals opinions and state IMHO that a lot of the same people that are starting these threads aren't contributing to the community with salt water topics or helping people, this area of the site has just turned into a place where people can whine and air out dirty laundry w/o having to contribute in a constructive way to SWF or SWF.com.

Contribute in a constructive way?
Oh I get it, someone with a post count over 1500 telling some of us old timers that we are not doing our fair share.....Ok, let me break it down for you...I grow tired of reading the same questions over and over...I grow tired of giving the same answers over and over. Personally NOW I think there are to many forums...I bet you will notice that about the time you saw the forums split more than they were a few months back you had many old timers just camp out in one forum.
What fish should I get next?
Help me decide between these two fish.
Is my cycle done?
My fish died but my water parameters are fine (no info posted on these details). Why?
What lighting should I use?
How does my tank look?
Is my tank big enough for this?
Look at the new coral I just got. (the only response is "cool" or "nice" that is fitting. God forbid you criticize someones personal choice...
I know you are going to look at my post count and thing WTF? Add the post counts of LionKiller, Darthtang AW and Darthtang, and you will see I have CONTRIBUTED......why do I hangout here more? Because it is more interesting.
If I need to know something, I run a search because odds are it has been discussed already. When the forum for seahorse was first opened up, I was very active there...now that they have a few people that camp out in that forum I don't feel the need to go there except look at some pictures, most of those there will just post what I would....
A few months ago we had a slew of Bacon related postings...maybe I should have griped about that....since I found it mind numbing and boring....
There are posts showing pictures of other people kids or family related activities....fine, I rarely click on these because they bore me. Maybe I should post a thread against these as well just like you. This is the aquarium, that is it's purpose....for off topic discussions, news, humor, and self gratification.
Why do I discuss politics and news here, because it is safer here to discuss them than at home or real life. I can post my opinion, rant, rave, get angry, but in the end, I can close the thread knowing I won't be arguing with someone I know personally and ruining the rest of my day because the discussion got heated and escalated. It is a nuetral ground that these topics can be discussed and still be at peace in my real life.....I am married to a democrat, if we discuss these things we will be divorced....lol

socal57che

The poll answers are a tad misleading...The Aquarium is where the politics get hashed out, but the poll asked about SWF as a whole.