Have 120lbs of live rock for 4 years, Ordered 25 more lbs form SWF...

jacksny22

SWF's web site says that the rock comes Pre- CURED...
I have fish and live rock in my tank (about 120 lbs). I just received 25lbs new live rock. Does it really have to be cured again if its pre-cured?
For now I did put the rock in a garbage bin with 30 gallons of fresh saltwater with a powerhead. Any help would be appreciated..

matt b

Let it sit in the bin for a few days and if you dont get a ammonia spike then your fine to put it in.

jacksny22

Will the organisms and beneficial bacteria not die off?
I do also have Black powder by Marc Weiss which claims to :

Maximize growth and
color in hard corals
and live rock"
Colorful life that you didn’t know even existed in your live rock newly spawns
Enhances growth and reproductive potential in organisms that are deprived of missing enzymes in the captive reef
Contains high levels of available calcium
Should I add this while the rock is in the bin??

rebelprettyboy

Originally Posted by jacksny22
http:///forum/post/2753075
Will the organisms and beneficial bacteria not die off?
I do also have Black powder by Marc Weiss which claims to :

Maximize growth and
color in hard corals
and live rock"
Colorful life that you didn’t know even existed in your live rock newly spawns
Enhances growth and reproductive potential in organisms that are deprived of missing enzymes in the captive reef
Contains high levels of available calcium
Should I add this while the rock is in the bin??
Sounds cheesy ot me. I wouldnt add anything and just wait it out

You should be fine as long as it was in a holding tank from where you received it and is actually cured. The die off from being shipped overnight is fairly minimal as long as the temp stayed relatively cool and the rock was still moist. As far as black powder many will say it is worthless but I have used it on my tanks for the past 5 years and I see tremendous coral growth compare to before I started using it.

jacksny22

Actually, my tank is already running for six years. The damsel is already there for 6 years - one of my first fish.
I do already have 120 lbs of live rock in my tank and now am adding 25 lbs...
I'm getting conflicting info on the water changes...people are telling me just test for ammonia and dont do water changes others are telling me to change the water twice a day for a week! Please help!