have i already messed up?

jared_p

OK so I filled up my 55gallon tank this morning let everything run until about 4 i added chemicals to take care of chlorine and heavy metals then around 10:20 tonight i started adding the first bit of my salt i emptied around half the bag witch was suppose to be for 50gallons. I then decided to let it set just for a little bit by the way i did turn off the filter all that was running was the power head and heater. Anyways so then i decided to use my hydrometer i bought today i put it in let it fill then hung it on the side of the tank tapped it a few times to make sure all bubbles where out then needle didn't raise one bit did it again the needle was all the way up in about 10mins. so what is going on? is there some way to calibrate the hydrometer? or what? or am i not letting the salt sit long enough? the tank is very foggy/salty looking how long does it usually take or how long do you need to wait to test the salt levels? if you can answer or give me some advice to any of my questions please please tell me. cause im kind of worried that iv done something wrong by adding the salt to soon or something and having wasted the salt.
also i was going to buy some dry base rock at about 2 a pound is that a good deal? i thought it seemed kind of high for rock that isn't even live. specially when i can get 35lbs of live Fiji base rock for like $60.
so any help is greatly so greatly appreciated.

morval

wait 24 hrs to test ur salinity. to calibrate a hydrometer throw it in the garbage as hard as you can and buy a refractometer j/k but hydrometers are known for giving incorrect readings and being slightly different every time you use it they can also get a build up of salt on the needle which leads to worse readings. so invest in a refractometer there much better
as for rock it will always be cheaper on the interwebs as comp[ared to a LFS but you then have to deal with die off

mr_x

the lfs's get their rock from the same place the online suppliers do, and most likely, you are going to see die off(a cycle) from either.
i think you are right jared. if you can purchase live rock for 2-3 dollars a pound, 2 dollar a pound base rock isn't that much of a deal. you want to cycle your tank anyway, so the die-off from shipping will make that happen for you. plus, you'll most likely end up with some interesting hitch hikers.
morval is right about those hydrometers. i have two of them, and they both give a way different reading than the other.

perfectdark

Just make sure if/when you get a refractometer you calibrate it the correct way. There are specific instructions you need to follow for the various types of refractometers out there. They can give you as false of a reading as any swing arm hydrometer if not properly calibrated. FWIW Lab grade glass hydrometers are the most accurate instrument available, but they are pricey.

valeram

I also bought an hydrometer when I setup my SWA. It was stated in the package that you need to acclimate it before using. I've used it for a month before deciding on getting a refractometer.

jared_p

so is there nothing i need to do to it before useing it? just make sure the salt has been in there for 24hrs? cause its still doing the same thing as far as i put it in and its just topping out the needle rasies as high as it can. but i havent even put a full 50gal bag in so i know there isnt to much. so any advice?
about the rock: i have decided to order 35lbs of live fiji base rock as mentioned yes there will be die off BUT its going to cost me $108 to get that live rock since shipping cost so much but buying dry base rock at my LFS would only be about a $5 difference and thats before taxs.
unless there is a cheap place on the internet for dry base rock?

mr_x

35 pounds of live base rock? you mean live rock, right? btw- you might want to get about 60 pounds of it. 35 isn't enough live rock. maybe get 35 live and 30 or so base....

jared_p

says 35lbs of live fiji foundation rock witch is what id use for my base rock and its $60 for it. thats why id only get 35lbs cause i figured id only need like you said about 30lbs i didnt plan on useing it for the rock that id really make the aquascape but the foundation and base. i plained on buying another 25-35lbs of live rock after that.

sparkymedic

my hydrometer had me soak it in salt water for 24 hrs before using it. like everyone else has said i would look for a refractometer. my hydrometer would give me high readings one day then way low the next. i did a google search for refractometers and found a nice one for $40.

jared_p

so sparkymedic you mentioned soaking it in saltwater i think mine said something about that but what just put it in the water like i was going to test it but leave it for a day?

jared_p

ok its been 24hrs since iv added salt and i decided to try and soak the hydrometer in salt water for the next 24hrs well really i just dipped it in the tank and planned on leaving the water in it for 24hrs is that what i should do? right now i think it is reading mostly right i added about half the bag and it looks like what i expected at half a bag or just over half a bag. dont remember what it was reading though.

1990jpyj

by the way it sound to me: are you mixing all your salt in your tank?
i was always told to mix it in 5g buckets and wait 24 hours before even thinking about putting it in. because if the saltinity is to high its easyer to fix then in the tank itself. i know when i set mine up i put in my budget to get some water from a LFS cause they rented me all the buckets for free(w/a $25 deposit) and gave me a break cuz i was buying a large amount of water. it was all premixed and they had the RO water w/salt and i got it for like $.25 a gallon. and everything was perfect. ps get the refac. its much more accurate

jared_p

well its kind of to late i guess to do that iv already filled the tank mixed chemicals and added the salt and iv added only half to 3/4 of the bag and the bag is for 50-55gallons so i am not to worried right now about going over the saltinity. but my main thing right now is just what to do with my hydrometer to make sure its mostly right or as right as one can be. right now i dont really have the money for a refractor and i know the hydro wont be near as accurate but iv seen plenty of people manage on just the hydrometers so i think i could start my tank with it.

1990jpyj

just play with the hydro. for a few min and average out your readings. i started out my tank with one. so its not that big of a deal but in the long run you will need to get the refac. when i had mine i would take it out of the water cuz the readings i think would be more accurate then just sitting in the tank. so i say fill it up pull it out of the tank flick it a few times set it down for about 15 sec then you should get a decent reading. do that 3 times and average them out and thats what your saltin. should be about

jared_p

well should i let it soak in the water for the next 24hrs? right now its just in the tank hanging in there should i leave it or what? and ill prob do what your saying take several readings avg them out and see what i get. thanks.
i will prob buy a refac in the next 3months or sooner. also from this point on would it be best to just use r/o water? for water changes.
oh and one more thing i filled it up empty and i figure as i add sand and rock its going to overflow from all that if so can i just put that water in buckets and use it for water changes later on?

1990jpyj

as far as using the hydor. i say you could use it now. you can use it right out of the box. so if its been soaking you sould be fine.
for the water changes if it was me i would use the RO water if you can. its much better for the fish.
i would just dump the water. but thats me. if you really dont want to buy new water right away you could use it till its gone. probly not a bad idea as long as all the peramiters are good.
good luck i think i answered all your questions

jared_p

yes you answered them thank you very much.
iv checked the peramiters with a cheap test strip just about 10mins ago and came out great so i think ill be fine for now. and like you said with water changes just use RO water. so now i will prob order about 30lbs or dry rock and about 15lbs or live rock put that in along with 30lbs of sand "live" sand but its bagged so it being live can be iffy. so then hopefully it wont be long before i can add some shrimp and crabs.

trouble93

Slow down this is nothing you want to do to fast!!! Once you begain your cycle with the live rock and dry base rock you will have to have your water levels in check. You will have massive die off, you have to go through that first.

jeanheckle

Originally Posted by 1990jpyj
http:///forum/post/2798756
by the way it sound to me: are you mixing all your salt in your tank?
i was always told to mix it in 5g buckets and wait 24 hours before even thinking about putting it in. because if the saltinity is to high its easyer to fix then in the tank itself. i know when i set mine up i put in my budget to get some water from a LFS cause they rented me all the buckets for free(w/a $25 deposit) and gave me a break cuz i was buying a large amount of water. it was all premixed and they had the RO water w/salt and i got it for like $.25 a gallon. and everything was perfect. ps get the refac. its much more accurate
The first time you add water to your tank you can mix the salt in there, that is the one and only time you can. After that you need to mix it in buckets and let it set for 24+ hours.